Why become a member? ×

New Source Audio pedal - ARTIFAKT Lo-fi Elements

Quatschmacher

so hold on a moment.... 

This is working on at least  two levels isn't it? 

1 There's an effects engine underneath that can do everything all at the same time if you want....

2 And then the ability to assign what all the controls do on that patch...

3 and then the middle preset knob which I guess is preset that works as a starting place for "here's your crush tones", "here's your vinyl" 

Initial impressions aren't what I'd hoped for (although I don't know what I'd hoped for 🤔) and im not sure how useful it is... but I LOVE the new direction of the one series pedals.

Regardless of what the pedal does or doesn't do, what a huge upgrade this is in usability! 

21 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

so hold on a moment.... 

This is working on at least  two levels isn't it? 

1 There's an effects engine underneath that can do everything all at the same time if you want....

2 And then the ability to assign what all the controls do on that patch...

3 and then the middle preset knob which I guess is preset that works as a starting place for "here's your crush tones", "here's your vinyl" 

The middle knob is much like the toggle switch on the other pedals: it’s populated with some well thought-out starting points which you can then tweak and save to one of the preset slots. However, last time I tried, those 7 bases are fully replaceable too so you can design your own starting points too.

Time-based effects are only one at a time, so delay or chorus or reverb. The other stuff is mostly available together. There is something to do with the glitch section that has a minor limitation, but I forget what that is exactly.

And yes, all controls are fully assignable to be whatever you want. There are two soft control sections, each of which allows a knob or footswitch (and hopefully in an update the bandwidth toggle switch too) to control up to three different parameters with customisable ranges (both in parameter values and to which portion of the knob travel it is assigned). It’s so powerful. Definitely wish the C4 had some of this ability. Hopefully an updated/revised version will bring some of this innovation in. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Initial impressions aren't what I'd hoped for (although I don't know what I'd hoped for 🤔) and im not sure how useful it is... but I LOVE the new direction of the one series pedals.

Regardless of what the pedal does or doesn't do, what a huge upgrade this is in usability! 

I’m not into glitch/lo-fi at all but I love this and it’s staying for everything else it does. Worth it just for the lowpass filter on its own. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

Copying this from a TB post I made earlier:

I think this may be the best thing SA has made to date, this is coming from someone who loves the C4 very much. (I ordered that pedal as soon as it was announced and spent a lot of time getting right inside it.)

One thing I really like about the new pedal is the level of hands-on control, which, for me, recaptures the immediacy of the Soundblox 2 series; I loved those and the Manta is what got me into Source Audio pedals in the first place. With the move to One Series, lots of deeper possibilities opened up via the editor software, but at the expense of a loss of some of the immediacy and stand-alone nature of the SB2 series. This new pedal is a kind of marriage between the two ways of interacting: there’s all the depth and tweakability of the One Series pedals, but you can set up or use a few presets (hell, even just a single preset) that have so much variation possible via the panel controls alone that you’d never need to dig into the editor if you didn’t want to. However, if you do want to explore, there’s a whole universe of sound in there, and this pedal invites exploration.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kev said:

I can't believe this exists 😅

I can make you a bad cable emulator for a 10'er if you are interested?

No need for circumstantial expensive boxes or anything.

Directly build into the cable and all!

;)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

I posted this elsewhere a while ago but couldn't say what it was. Here's Artifakt and Mutron Microtron IV side by side; can you tell which is which?

That's impressive.

I'll stick my neck out and say the Mutron was first, but very good.  Its a wonder Source Audio don't go down a proper multi effects processor route, as they seem to nail a lot of stuff.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kev said:

That's impressive.

I'll stick my neck out and say the Mutron was first, but very good.  Its a wonder Source Audio don't go down a proper multi effects processor route, as they seem to nail a lot of stuff.

Thanks for being the first to venture a guess. Curious as to what pushed you to that choice; do tell. That recording was done before I better matched the EQ, as it was non-functional at that point. I think they are even closer now. The only difference was a slight difference in envelope response at different dynamics, mostly in the decay time. Sadly I don’t have the MuTron any more to do a new more accurate comparison. 

10 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Thanks for being the first to venture a guess. Curious as to what pushed you to that choice; do tell. That recording was done before I better matched the EQ, as it was non-functional at that point. I think they are even closer now. The only difference was a slight difference in envelope response at different dynamics, mostly in the decay time. Sadly I don’t have the MuTron any more to do a new more accurate comparison. 

Its the subtleties of how the envelope sounds like it is responding to your playing, it feels more natural in the first half...but quite pronounced as well, so it could easily be a digital simulation of that subtlety 😅

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Kev said:

Its the subtleties of how the envelope sounds like it is responding to your playing, it feels more natural in the first half...but quite pronounced as well, so it could easily be a digital simulation of that subtlety 😅

Artifakt’s envelope is plenty responsive too.

A fairer test would have been to record a clean audio signal and use the same recording to trigger each pedal; there’s no guarantee of my playing each clip with exactly the same dynamics. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Definitely wish the C4 had some of this ability. Hopefully an updated/revised version will bring some of this innovation in. 

A C4 in this new hardware would be great. 

18 hours ago, Killerfridge said:

I reckon paired with the Atlas you can get pretty close to the VulfPressor

I've been looking for that sound in a pedal for ages.

I think the Fairfield 'The Accountant' gets very close indeed.

23 minutes ago, lidl e said:

350 quid. That's a pretty heavy price tag.

Seems quite high.

Not really for everything it does. It’s also a new custom design so there’s extra costs involved there. And stuff is always more expensive at launch. Wasn’t EQ2 (another custom design) around £299 at launch?

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Kev said:

Still, £95 more than a Future Impact V4 as a point of reference, does seem a tad pricey??  Would love to spend some time with one though.

Apples and oranges though really… SA connectivity is more modern with USB and TRS MIDI, dedicated expression input, stereo I/O, fully assignable panel controls and their very slick user preset platform; I’m sure some of this price reflects the huge financial investment they’ve put into Neuro 3 over the past couple of years, which is free to end users. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 2