Why become a member? ×

Popular contemporary funk for The Dog and Duck.

Looking for song suggestions here, folks. I'm in a 5-piece soul, pop, funk band playing the local pub circuit. We play Freak Out, Play that funky music, Locked out of Heaven , Bowie's Let's Dance, etc. We haven't tried Uptown Funk yet - been avoiding it for some unknown reason. We want to add some modern funk that everybody will know. I absolutely love Brother Strut (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbiB_7f2Yy4 ) but my concern is that the audience won't know it. So, the here's the tick-box list:

- MUST be well-known to the usual regulars down at the Fox and Ferret.

- A funk song, along the lines of Car Wash, James Brown....

- Broadly speaking, no older than year 2000 (ish)

- No horns or sax.

Thank you.

40 minutes ago, Chezz55 said:

'Get Lucky' - I think this is the worst 'funk' song ever.

To my ears - it's not musical, the vocal is dire, and the song doesn't have a groove.

Time for some new ears methinks 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I used to do a version of this - lots more of the original Camille Yarborough version, but at the Fatboy tempo, and with some of the Fatboy "landmarks" thrown in for good measure.

Just realised this falls foul of your 2000 bar (problem with getting old), but think it is well enough known to work in the Pickled Ferret.

Edited by Mykesbass

53 minutes ago, Chezz55 said:

To my ears - it's not musical, the vocal is dire, and the song doesn't have a groove.

None of that matters down the Dog and Duck 

And I'm glad I don't have your ears 😉😊

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

I used to do a version of this - lots more of the original Camille Yarborough version, but at the Fatboy tempo, and with some of the Fatboy "landmarks" thrown in for good measure.

Just realised this falls foul of your 2000 bar (problem with getting old), but think it is well enough known to work in the Pickled Ferret.

Enjoyed that! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

None of that matters down the Dog and Duck 

And I'm glad I don't have your ears 😉😊

I went to YouTube .... ah this song, yes .... mmmm, lovely. Yeah, happy to be hearing this, would be happy to be hearing this, smashing.

Got to agree with @Chezz55 to me it sounds like someone's early attempts to make music using sampled loops and haven't quite got the hang of making sure that the various parts are properly in tune with each other. It's also repetitive in the worst possible way, and has only become popular because it's by people who are already well-known. If this had been assembled by an unknown bedroom DJ it would never have got a second listen.

I suppose that if you are planning to do it live with a band you can fix the more questionable harmonies and add a bit more variation to the parts.

• Like 1

Uptown Funk is great fun to play. Make sure you do it on a 5 string. None of that higher octave nonsense. It needs to be guttural.

Runaway Baby is another that works really well. 

Funk that "everybody will know" is not an easy task. Everybody likes to dance to it, but hardly any of the punters know the song names or the artists.

Can you post your existing set list?

But if you have a load of well known ones anyway - educate the masses!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Len_derby said:

We do Locked out of Heaven by Bruno Mars. Always goes down well. 

Treasure by Bruno Mars always went down well in my old band

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chris_b said:

No one's mentioned any Sly and the Family Stone (Thank You, Sing A Simple Song) or Larry Graham (Feel The Need). 

What about some Boz Scaggs (Lowdown)?

Because he wants stuff from after the year 2000.

45 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Why not take well known songs and funk them up...

https://youtu.be/KcIGbgR0nvY?si=p-oGp11rmvKKOIie

This is a great idea. The best pub band I have seen in a long time (“Them Deadbeat Cats”) take various well known songs (mostly 80s pop) and play them in Rockabilly style at breakneck speed. Just brilliant.

5 hours ago, Chezz55 said:

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Got to agree with @Chezz55 to me it sounds like someone's early attempts to make music using sampled loops and haven't quite got the hang of making sure that the various parts are properly in tune with each other. It's also repetitive in the worst possible way, and has only become popular because it's by people who are already well-known. If this had been assembled by an unknown bedroom DJ it would never have got a second listen.

I suppose that if you are planning to do it live with a band you can fix the more questionable harmonies and add a bit more variation to the parts.

Y'all saying Nathan East and Niles Rodgers got no groove? 😲

The bass line doesn't repeat, there are subtle changes all the way through.

Boring world if we all liked the same thing though 😜 

• Like 3