Why become a member? ×

Shuker Headless MIDI 6
£3100
London - The Bass Gallery

Kiwi

Over last Summer I had a minor purge of gear and concluded I didn't need a 6 in my bass playing life any more, especially since getting a little more serious about guitar.   

This bass may already be familiar to the longer term members and was made by Jon in 2009.  It features a 5 piece through neck in a matt finish featuring maple and wenge laminates.  The gloss finished body wings are from mahogany and feature facings made from burl/quilted redwood sinker log that I picked up in 2007 while prices were still sane.  Fingerboard is birdseye maple to compliment the burl top and back, and stainless steel frets are fitted for long life.  The hardware is made by ABM and the pickups are a set of custom Wizard humbuckers a few years before Andy decided to retire for health reasons.   The electronics are comprehensive and include both Jon's own 3 band eq as well as a Graphtec Ghost piezo system that includes a buffer circuit and MIDI filtering to a 13 pin Roland output socket.  I ran that through an Axon AX100 at one point (which I still have with me here at home).  I can't recall if there are coil splits but the pickups have four wires so definitely split capable. There are also neck LED's fitted on the fingerboard edge which run off their own separate 9v. 

In terms of dimensions, the string spacing and neck profile was based on a Smith BSR6 that I had just sold so there is plenty of room to move about.  The action is quite low and it's very easy to get around on the bass as you might expect for something made by Jon.  I would say it's almost (but not quite) like a graphite neck because Jon tends to favour very stiff and dense maple for his necks.  The sound can best be described as tight - very even response across the fingerboard with deep lows and bright highs and the wenge adds slight mid emphasis.  I have some recorded samples but don't have anywhere to host them as attachments at the moment. 

I've only gigged this bass once.  The rest of the time it's had home use or been in storage.  There is one minor ding on the neck where my then-3 year son knocked it against a bookcase in 2015.  But apart from that, no other marks to the best of my recollection.  Apart from scribbles on the back by a few plonkers noone's probably ever heard of..

The bass is currently on consignment with the Bass Gallery and they've had it so far for ten months.  So it's priced below what they are asking in the interests of a quick sale on here.  No trades I'm sorry because I can't check the condition of any instruments taken in without them either being in China or me being in the UK....although a Vigier Passion III 5-string with a low action or a 87-88 Status Series II 5 string would be tempting.  Hmmm. Any how if you want to go and play this bass, you can go ahead and do that at the Gallery who have done a fine job of looking after it.  Feel free to drop me a line with any questions.

Oh...and a Hiscox case is included. 

IMG_20230811_165617__1100_x_703_pixel_1600x.jpg

IMG_20230811_165639__1100_x_703_pixel_1600x.jpg

IMG_20230811_165656__1100_x_703_pixel_1600x.jpg

IMG_20230811_165822__1100_x_703_pixel_1600x.jpg

IMG_20230811_165746__1100_x_703_pixel_1600x.jpg

• Like 6

Awww, I love this bass! If anyone has any doubts whatsoever about the stunning, top-tier workmanship that comes out of the Shuker workshop, feel free to message me! Shuker really is up there with the very best the world has to offer. I will be buying another one day! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Oldman said:

As a matter of interest what scale, 34” or 35” 

Good question...if I recall correctly, it might be 35" because I was looking for tightness in the lower end (as you do).  I never noticed any difference in feel but I have an old Spector which is 35" as well so may well be used to it.

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

Good question...if I recall correctly, it might be 35" because I was looking for tightness in the lower end (as you do).  I never noticed any difference in feel but I have an old Spector which is 35" as well so may well be used to it.

Makes sense, before Malarkey it would have a consideration 🙄

• Like 1

• 1 month later...