Why become a member? ×

What do you do with your old strings?

Tried putting mine in the recycling, but the collection guys took them out and left them on the drive! 

I solved the problem, I don't put new strings on my basses any more. The PJ has flats and the Jazz has a set of NYXL's that have been on a since 2019 and they still sound good, warm and mellow. 

• Like 5

What about the whole boiling them thing? I think I heard it first from Mike Mondesir. Supposedly gets the zing back. Anyone tried that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eh? What do you mean 'old strings'?

Would they be worn-in rounds that have been on the bass since it was made, in 1967? Or flatwounds? 

Either way, I say keep them. That way folks in future generations can wonder all day long about what the heck all these old wires were once you've gone.

My other half used quite a few old sets for strapping some trailing plants and a grapevine horizontally to the garden wall and fence. We fixed some small hooks to the wall and fence to go through the ball ends,  and used electrical cable connector blocks to join two strings together.  worked a treat.

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DDR said:

What about the whole boiling them thing? I think I heard it first from Mike Mondesir. Supposedly gets the zing back. Anyone tried that?

Of course. I’ve done it loads of times. The idea being that boiling them gets rid of all the gunk caught in the windings and freshens them up. Certainly done it to good effect in the past. In recent years I’ve been using flats and or NYXLs, neither of which seem to need changing. 

• Like 1

Metal recycling.

No need to boil, ultrasonic clean, dishwash, whatever. Old strings are old. I change strings (SS RW) when they sound and feel old. Usually two, three times a year.

• Like 1

I have a friend who is a modeller - uses them for pilot's oxygen hoses and other details on planes and tanks.

Trouble is he only needs one set for a lifetime.... 😞

Threading elastic shock cord through tent poles

Another friend uses a bass string for holding knitting stiches - very technical...

A doubled over guitar 0.010" top E is good for blobbing wood glue into screw holes (scratch plates, strap buttons etc.) to make screws fit tight again

Unblocking gummed up glue spouts

Edited by Bigguy2017
  • Like 3

Some good ideas here. I don’t boil or try to revive, they are all LaBella DTB’s and have all been switched around various basses and showing it. Especially the G’s at the tuner end. The rest of the sets are good for spares. 

18 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Of course. I’ve done it loads of times. The idea being that boiling them gets rid of all the gunk caught in the windings and freshens them up. Certainly done it to good effect in the past. In recent years I’ve been using flats and or NYXLs, neither of which seem to need changing. 

so do you literally put the whole string in a boiling pan of water on the stove? How long for?

14 minutes ago, DDR said:

so do you literally put the whole string in a boiling pan of water on the stove? How long for?

About as long as it takes to cook the spaghetti. 

• Like 1

Scrap metal at the local recycling centre for my strings.

I try to put them in with the domestic recycling, but my wife has a very narrow view of what makes domestic waste. I

argue that I spend more time playing bass at home, than I spend eating soup at home - yet the soup cans go to home recycling, and my strings require a special trip to the dump....

4 hours ago, DDR said:

Yup. After about 5-10 mins you might notice frothy gunk collecting on the water surface in the middle of the pan. Scoop it off with a spoon and keep going until it stops happening. 
Take them out, rinse and let them dry out. 

*Add salt and pepper to taste obviously…”

Edited by bassbiscuits
Edited for culinary advice
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DDR said:

Ultrasonic cleaner is more effective.

Dishwasher less, as is boiling. Still that cleaning cannot fight against metal fatigue (by A. Holdsworth!). The string becomes dull in just a few days.

• Thanks 1

On 23/06/2024 at 15:39, DDR said:

Take them out of the water, if you can throw them at a tiled wall and they stick, then you know they're ready 😃

Does anyone have any links for the mates who make jewellery from them? I've always fancies something bass related and have seen a few on etsy, but I wouldn't mind checking out any links to support a mate of BC.

I used to do this back in the day and it seemed to work for a little while but not long.

I was never really sure of the mechanism that causes strings to "die" (they are inert lumps of steel, never "alive" to start with) apart from the voids  filling with skin flakes and fried chicken grease. Does the metal really fatigue? The vibrations of a bass string are pretty benign compared to what steel has to go through in the real world.