Why become a member? ×

Oh I really miss this back in France.

Round our way, most of the Fete de la Musiques the last few years have been pretty dismal - mostly loads of oompah brass bands for some reason, or the occasional bad Johnny Hallyday style 'rock and roll' band. Or gypsy jazz all day long, which I can take for an hour if I'm in a good mood but not for much longer. Occasionally flamenco displays too, as Catalonia is only on the other side of the Pyrenees and half our village is Spanish.

But I'm right down in the South West and it's very traditional here. I'd imagine (hope) it would be way better elsewhere?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, meterman said:

Round our way, most of the Fete de la Musiques the last few years have been pretty dismal - mostly loads of oompah brass bands for some reason, or the occasional bad Johnny Hallyday style 'rock and roll' band. Or gypsy jazz all day long, which I can take for an hour if I'm in a good mood but not for much longer. Occasionally flamenco displays too, as Catalonia is only on the other side of the Pyrenees and half our village is Spanish.

But I'm right down in the South West and it's very traditional here. I'd imagine (hope) it would be way better elsewhere?

In the Limousin, we we're inundated with either Blues bands or guitarists who'd only ever learned Hey Joe or Highway to Hell.😂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, leschirons said:

In the Limousin, we we're inundated with either Blues bands or guitarists who'd only ever learned Hey Joe or Highway to Hell.😂

Even I'd take AC/DC and Hendrix covers over oompah flipping oompah!

• Haha 1

We went to Montalivet on the west coast of France last year the standard of bands we saw out and about was very high - Latin sort of dance stuff, gentle background jazz outdoors, some rock and roll. All very decent. Not a rendition of Wonderwall among them thankfully. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/06/2024 at 21:29, meterman said:

Even I'd take AC/DC and Hendrix covers over oompah flipping oompah!

The last one of those Oompah bands I saw, in our sleepy little village (La Cellette 23)  played Walk this way and the Immigrant song😂

On 23/06/2024 at 21:53, bassbiscuits said:

We went to Montalivet on the west coast of France last year the standard of bands we saw out and about was very high - Latin sort of dance stuff, gentle background jazz outdoors, some rock and roll. All very decent. Not a rendition of Wonderwall among them thankfully. 

Surely you mean mur de merveilles?