Why become a member? ×

Hohner The Jack bass
£275
Brighton

philw

Much like me, my Wife's Hohner The Jack bass is elderly but still beautiful. It's also in great condition considering its 1980s (probably) vintage and it plays extremely well with a lovely low action and no buzzing. And it sounds gorgeous with both great low-end power and midrange punch. It's light too - our bathroom scales say its 3.4kg (7.5lbs) - and is very comfortable on a strap. Probably needs a new set of strings though...

Now the downside. In common with a lot of 1980s vintage Hohners, the active electronics no longer work and they've defied my attempts at repair. Somebody with more skill and patience might have more success, but my feeling is that the bass is destined either for passive use only (in which mode it works fine) or have a completely new active preamp installed ('cause the existing preamp PCB is delaminating). It will also need a new battery box or a blanking plate 'cause the ABS of the original battery box has reached its very brittle years. Being a bass (probably) in its 40s, it has a few minor dings. In particular one on the back of the top horn and one on the top edge of the fingerboard at the ninth fret. The Steinberger licenced tuners work fine but they're a bit stiff so probably need a bit of a clean and lubrication.

I've tried to illustrate all the downsides in the pictures and they're reflected in the price.

The bass is in Brighton and we're happy to entertain anybody who wants to come and have a go on it and/or collect, but we also have a suitable box and lots of bubble wrap, so shipping at buyers expense is also possible. Any non-UK shipping will be 

Bit of extra info that I failed to include initially:
First, the bass was originally owned by Brendan Rothwell, who it appears has gone on to do great bassy things (https://www.brendanrothwell.com). Wonder if he's a member here?
Second, we're open to offers or perhaps even trades with dosh either way as appropriate. Anything bass or otherwise noisy might be of interest (although please don't be offended if I respond with an immediate "no" to a broken old banjo - we actually have a fully functioning banjo that nobody here can play anyway).

Here's the pictures.

Jack-6.thumb.jpeg.2c66da56e00fd7161b5c7aa3da5ca3ba.jpegJack-1.thumb.jpeg.8ed68126ff85f419ff608ac12040b932.jpegJack-2.thumb.jpeg.3be093a17a819eb7cf6870b9c636c2b3.jpegJack-7.thumb.jpeg.58957b8c018b0499ec2787db1ef3e6d7.jpegJack-10.thumb.jpeg.b600066a31dcda91f9603e504beb5910.jpegJack-9.thumb.jpeg.0e4e61a6f798868a97462efc6a72ab83.jpegJack-3.thumb.jpeg.6191ab290abeb09046fac85bf9728126.jpegJack-4.thumb.jpeg.be034bb371f31272ade90dbb09aac325.jpegJack-8.thumb.jpeg.76025ee1f7f3809c97290bd940d2cdcd.jpeg

Jack - 5.jpeg

Edited by philw
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, alyctes said:

I had one of these, and I regret getting rid of it.  And Phil is a fine musician and a nice guy.

You're too kind 🙂

(I once wrote that in an email to a colleague and he replied, "Thank you, I'll endeavour to be less kind in future".)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I have a preamp from a Cort built Hohner lying around somewhere, you're welcome to it for nowt if the one in this is goosed.

Thanks but we'd rather move the bass on I think. Of course you could always buy it and fit the spare preamp 🙂

P

• 3 weeks later...