Why become a member? ×

Update : now M25 to Portsmouth 'mule' wanted, for bass transport...

[Open letter to the BC Community]...

Update ...

A new, slight, complication. The bass is now at Shepperton (near Heathrow, with easy M25/M3 access...), but my cross-channel 'mule' is based in Portsmouth, and won't be able to hop up to fetch it. Is there a BC member, travelling in the next couple of weeks along the M3, willing to get it from my brother at Shepperton, and harbour the bass, in its gig-bag, in the Portsmouth area until my 'mule' can pick it up at a mutually-agreed rendez-vous spot..? Thanks in advance; details by PM.  

Anyone planning a visit to France in the near future (2024/5 counts as 'near future' for these purposes...). There's a fine bass, currently in Aberdeen, that is looking for transport across the Channel, and 'official' means make it unrealistic. A PM to seal the deal; further logistic details can and will be worked out as needs be. Thanks in advance; two BCer's would be helped by this. OK, a bit of a Long Shot, but it really is a Fine Bass. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
Update circumstances.
  • Like 4

Good luck with this. It is a fine community with many helpful folks.

Maybe things might change in relations between the EU and UK if there is a change in government?

My car was searched pretty thoroughly, with a steering wheel and door handle swab test,  last time I went through the channel port. On that trip I was not with an instrument on board. It got me thinking what I would have said to the customs official if I were.

Just asking for a friend!

• Thanks 1

My present thinking is to firstly buy (and pay for...) the bass, and get it down from its present location to a brother's house in Shepperton, where it could reside for quite a while. Then, if there are no intrepid BCer's up to it, either wait for said brother to pop across on a visit, or bite the bullet and take the trip myself (not likely this year, but could be done, sooner or later...). I think I'll get started on the first move, and at least take it off the Sellers hands, leaving the problem of getting it into my hands in my own hands. I sense a string of PM's coming...

In my (admittedly rather rare, these days...)trips back to France, I've never even been stopped, through customs, either with my (French-registered...) cars, or as a foot passenger. I brought back my Verithin Bass on foot, and, on another occasion, Our Youngest and I carried, between us, my flight-cased Hiwatt 200w PA head. No-one even twitched as we went through passport control and customs. Of course, this was 'back then', when s/h stuff was not in issue, anyway. If there were to be charges, nowadays, the simplest thing would be to just pay them and be done with it, but a courrier from Aberdeen to here would become very expensive. It is, however, a Fine Bass, so...

Thanks for all suggestions and comments so far; we'll see what transpires. To be continued... 

3 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

Good luck with this. It is a fine community with many helpful folks.

Maybe things might change in relations between the EU and UK if there is a change in government?

My car was searched pretty thoroughly, with a steering wheel and door handle swab test,  last time I went through the channel port. On that trip I was not with an instrument on board. It got me thinking what I would have said to the customs official if I were.

Just asking for a friend!

you're allowed to take a personal instrument with you on holiday if you want. Afterall you can take others things can't you? The whole contents of your motor home are possesions aren't they.

I've never been checked on the way out of the uk, either tunnel of ferry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interestingly I was working in Holland and returned in the company van full of equipment including an absent  colleague's tool box.

The van was searched by the drugs dogs.

Luckily not very thoroughly it turned out when we got back to the factory. We weren't impressed. 

• Haha 1

If you can get it to Ayr I have a couple of friends coming down to visit in about three weeks. After that my daughter will be coming through the tunnel in a camper van for few days visit and returning back up to Utrecht. So could possibly meet up with someone at the Calais end. Long and convoluted, plus I haven’t asked any of them if they would be willing, but it’s an option 🙂. And if it happens to be the ‘96 Stingray I stupidly sold to some woman up that way, I might want to keep it 😉 

2 hours ago, Cliff Edge said:

If you can get it to Ayr I have a couple of friends coming down to visit in about three weeks. After that my daughter will be coming through the tunnel in a camper van for few days visit and returning back up to Utrecht. So could possibly meet up with someone at the Calais end. Long and convoluted, plus I haven’t asked any of them if they would be willing, but it’s an option 🙂. And if it happens to be the ‘96 Stingray I stupidly sold to some woman up that way, I might want to keep it 😉 

Thanks for the kind offer, and no worries, it's not at all a Stingray (although it does have an 'MM'-style p/u...)..! I think the delivery problem has now been solved, with a 'dogs-leg' to one of my brothers down South, and the possible (probable..?) pick-up by a friend who hops between the UK and Europe very regularly. I'll close this topic down once I've confirmation that he's up for it when he's next around. It may even get to me before year's end, at this rate..! :)

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Thanks for the kind offer, and no worries, it's not at all a Stingray (although it does have an 'MM'-style p/u...)..! I think the delivery problem has now been solved, with a 'dogs-leg' to one of my brothers down South, and the possible (probable..?) pick-up by a friend who hops between the UK and Europe very regularly. I'll close this topic down once I've confirmation that he's up for it when he's next around. It may even get to me before year's end, at this rate..! :)

Came back to nix the offer. Turns out said Scottish friends will not now be here until after my daughter goes back. Glad you got it sorted anyway. 

• Thanks 1

I'm going to France in my campervan in August.  I'd be happy to bring your bass.  The only thing is you'd need to have it delivered to me in Belfast.

I'll be sailing from Dublin to Cherbourg, then heading south after a few days in Brittany, depending on the weather.

Frank.

4 minutes ago, machinehead said:

I'm going to France in my campervan in August.  I'd be happy to bring your bass.  The only thing is you'd need to have it delivered to me in Belfast.

I'll be sailing from Dublin to Cherbourg, then heading south after a few days in Brittany, depending on the weather.

Frank.

Thanks, Frank; duly noted. The bass is now in Middlesex, and I'm hoping that a friend who crosses often will be able to do the deed in the next few days/weeks, but I'll keep your offer in mind. Getting it to Ireland may be more 'interesting' than getting it to France, though..!

If you're passing through, you're welcome to pop in, either coming or going. In any case, enjoy the break. :friends:

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Thanks, Frank; duly noted. The bass is now in Middlesex, and I'm hoping that a friend who crosses often will be able to do the deed in the next few days/weeks, but I'll keep your offer in mind. Getting it to Ireland may be more 'interesting' than getting it to France, though..!

If you're passing through, you're welcome to pop in, either coming or going. In any case, enjoy the break. :friends:

Getting the bass to Belfast is absolutely no problem as we're part of the UK.  Anyway, I hope it gets to you asap. If it doesn't work out with your friend, hopefully I can help.

Many thanks for the kind offer of a visit. It's always good to meet fellow musicians. We're in France for almost 6 weeks and very much looking forward to it.

Frank.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Can you spill what it is now? There’s a status up here and was tempted by, was it that? 😂

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, woodyratm said:

Can you spill what it is now? There’s a status up here and was tempted by, was it that? 😂

Not at all, Woody; no regrets. Here's the original ad :friends: ...

HB-50...

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

• Dad3353 changed the title to M25 to Portsmouth 'mule' wanted, for bass transport...

A new, slight, complication. The bass is now at Shepperton (near Heathrow, with easy M25/M3 access...), but my cross-channel 'mule' is based in Portsmouth, and won't be able to hop up to fetch it. Is there a BC member, travelling in the next couple of weeks along the M3, willing to get it from my brother at Shepperton, and harbour the bass, in its gig-bag, in the Portsmouth area until my 'mule' can pick it up at a mutually-agreed rendez-vous spot..? Thanks in advance; details by PM. :friends: 

• Dad3353 changed the title to Update : now M25 to Portsmouth 'mule' wanted, for bass transport...