Why become a member? ×

Your best 5-string tip

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

Floating thumb is an option not a requirement.

I'm looking at moving to 5'r as often feel the need for the lower notes but play my 4 with my thumb always rested on the pick-up (as it as a datum to find the requisite string), figured this could be moved to the B string to help muting and keep the datum position - Anyone else do this?

If you’re interested in the floating thumb option, here’s a video that I like to point people to:

I’d say play songs that you already know but (as others have recommended) start with your left hand around 5th position so that your low E note are played on the B string.

Avoid playing just the top 4 strings while using the B as a thumb rest.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheLowDown said:

What do you consider to be equally as good or better then?

The technique that millions of bass players use, and everyone used before the FT idea came along.

Watch any top player and very few of them use FT, so it's obviously not a requirement, it's only one of several options.

Many use fixed anchor, just placing their thumb one one spot. I use movable anchor which seems to be popular and is very effective and is just an extension of the 4 string technique. I would recommend techniques that build on existing patterns as being easier and quicker to get to grips with.

Edited by chris_b

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, chris_b said:

The technique that millions of bass players use, and everyone used before the FT idea came along.

Watch any top player and very few of them use FT, so it's obviously not a requirement, it's only one of several options.

Many use fixed anchor, just placing their thumb one one spot. I use movable anchor which seems to be popular and is very effective and is just an extension of the 4 string technique. I would recommend techniques that build on existing patterns as being easier and quicker to get to grips with.

Each to their own, and many people have their own personal choices which work for them. But as it's a recommendation to the OP who wants tips for transitioning from the 4 to the 5 string, I'm recommending floating thumb as it's a good and effective technique that's versatile for almost any situation and for any number of strings. I would consider techniques which are effective and versatile over those which are just easier or quick to get to grips with

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, chris_b said:

Floating thumb is an option not a requirement.

So is playing 5 string bass, or even bass at all. ;)

Billions of people, and even millions of very successful people, heck even some of the most successful people on planet Earth, doesn't and get along just fine.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash