Why become a member? ×

Is this 1993 Squier Standard Precision Bass any good?

Leo2134786

Hi everyone,
I've been playing bass for about 2 years now and I'm looking to upgrade my bass from this Aria STB P bass model: https://www.ariauk.com/index.php?route=product/product&language=en-gb&product_id=13609
I was looking at used Fender Player P basses and came across this Squier bass for £350. I was wondering if this would be a good bass to upgrade to but I was skeptical because of the lower price tag so I came here to ask.

Thanks to anyone who responds!
I've attatched pictures and the description below:

It is in Good Condition.

This model was produced in 1993 in Korea.

image.thumb.png.8f9730f9c1fc2b86e50b11168fc71305.pngimage.thumb.png.347cc6f6aad9e7edeb7947660c9e129f.pngimage.thumb.png.e3cc65f765107a68d7add99db7ca5780.pngimage.thumb.png.473c012660558bac8cf76f3fb695340d.pngimage.thumb.png.09cf92cfe7c4aeb436e5e09c1d8280f6.pngimage.thumb.png.89d03d29da455260387720fa16c03a76.pngimage.thumb.png.adea2e1330f328e492d4136d3ca61e4e.png

• Like 1

I believe they preceded the Vintage Modified basses.

Depending on how it plays and sounds, I'm betting it's better than the new Affinity basses.

If the price is right, grab it.

Looks pretty good!

In all honestly - it won't feel that different from your current bass. Especially those close backed tuners don't inspire much confidence. Not many modern basses use them as they tend to be cheap. Also managed to find the advert for that bass on Reverb and it's listed as having a rosewood board.....I'd avoid it.

If you want a better P-Bass and are happy with spending £350, try and get a Squier Classic Vibe or go for Sire P5. Not sure where you're based, but I always recommend trying to go somewhere and try and few different things, might be surprised by what you like versus what you started learning on!

• Like 1

If you've played it and like it then you should do OK with it, however it's a bit pricey. For that money you could probably buy something newer and that's a bit more versatile from the likes of Sire, Yamaha, Ibanez, etc. I have a 1996 Standard Precision, albeit made in a different factory in Korea, and it has the more standard open-backed cloverleaf tuners - those closed-back ones tend to be a bit cheap and of dubious quality, so I'd be a bit wary of this, especially as it's essentially the same as your Aria.

Edited by asingardenof

6 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

If you've played it and like it then you should do OK with it, however it's a bit pricey. For that money you could probably buy something newer and that's a bit more versatile from the likes of Sire, Yamaha, Ibanez, etc. I have a 1996 Standard Precision, albeit made in a different factory in Korea, and it has the more standard open-backed cloverleaf tuners - those closed-back ones tend to be a bit cheap and of dubious quality, so I'd be a bit wary of this, especially as it's essentially the same as your Aria.

Right so the overall message I'm getting from most replies is that its not worth the price and its not much of an upgrade. Thanks for the reply! I'll look at other options.

• Like 3

Just now, Leo2134786 said:

Right so the overall message I'm getting from most replies is that its not worth the price and its not much of an upgrade. Thanks for the reply! I'll look at other options.

Let's put it this way - if I thought I could get £350 for mine I'd be a happy bunny!

Tuners look meh. Nothing wrong with the Aria STB btw, they're solid basses and a bit under appreciated.

I had a later Standard Jazz made in Indonesia which was a really nice instrument, would be looking to pay no more than £150 for one though. Can get a lot of bass for circa £300 these days, unless you play it and it really speaks to you then I'd look elsewhere.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

In all honestly - it won't feel that different from your current bass. Especially those close backed tuners don't inspire much confidence. Not many modern basses use them as they tend to be cheap. Also managed to find the advert for that bass on Reverb and it's listed as having a rosewood board.....I'd avoid it.

If you want a better P-Bass and are happy with spending £350, try and get a Squier Classic Vibe or go for Sire P5. Not sure where you're based, but I always recommend trying to go somewhere and try and few different things, might be surprised by what you like versus what you started learning on!

Hey, thanks for the response! I'm looking for a bass with a maple neck just because I think it looks better compared to my current bass. I know for some people the looks isn't a major factor but it matters to me quite a bit lol! I'm just weary of the classic vibe basses since I believe they all have that chunky C shaped neck that I wasn't a fan of when trying it. Correct me if I am wrong but am I right in believing the American vintage 1954 style p basses have the same neck as the squier classic vibe series necks. I much preferred the modern D shaped neck on the American Ultra i tried, so preferably I would go for a thinner neck.

Thomann are still knocking out the P/J Sadowsky MetroExpress basses for £339 btw:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/misc_4_string_basses.html?manufacturer[]=Sadowsky&gk=GIEBS4&sp=solr&category[]=GIEBS4&cme=true&filter=true

Check FB/eBay etc for a used bargain on a Sire P5 or Squier CV 60's. If you like shorter scales there's a Sire U5 in the classifieds on here for £300

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Tuners look meh. Nothing wrong with the Aria STB btw, they're solid basses and a bit under appreciated.

I had a later Standard Jazz made in Indonesia which was a really nice instrument, would be looking to pay no more than £150 for one though. Can get a lot of bass for circa £300 these days, unless you play it and it really speaks to you then I'd look elsewhere.

Thanks for the response. Everyone keeps mentioning the bad tuners lol! I quite like my bass right now its just I'm looking for a second bass which is preferably better which I can string with roundwounds instead of the flatwounds I have on my aria.

1 minute ago, lemmywinks said:

Thomann are still knocking out the P/J Sadowsky MetroExpress basses for £339 btw:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/misc_4_string_basses.html?manufacturer[]=Sadowsky&gk=GIEBS4&sp=solr&category[]=GIEBS4&cme=true&filter=true

Check FB/eBay etc for a used bargain on a Sire P5 or Squier CV 60's. If you like shorter scales there's a Sire U5 in the classifieds on here for £300

I'm not a big fan of the offset body of the jazz bass or the thinner neck but thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely take a look at the Classic Vibe's again since everyone's recommending them. Thanks for the reply!

16 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

What is it about your Aria that makes you want to upgrade? 

There's nothing really that stands out about my Aria that is bad maybe except for the not so great tuners and the fret buzz that comes back after 2 months or so after a setup. It's just I'm looking for a second bass which is preferably slightly better than my current one. I'd like to have two basses with flatwounds and roundwounds respectively.

28 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

I believe they preceded the Vintage Modified basses.

Depending on how it plays and sounds, I'm betting it's better than the new Affinity basses.

If the price is right, grab it.

Looks pretty good!

Thanks for the response. It's quite far from me so I'm weary of not being able to play it before purchasing since I'd be getting it delivered. I'll do some more research first before spending this much lol!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leo2134786 said:

There's nothing really that stands out about my Aria that is bad maybe except for the not so great tuners and the fret buzz that comes back after 2 months or so after a setup. It's just I'm looking for a second bass which is preferably slightly better than my current one. I'd like to have two basses with flatwounds and roundwounds respectively.

I've just stuck a set of Grover clones on my Aria STB (the 5 string JB DX model), might have to fill and redrill some screw holes but they're a big upgrade over the stock ones and still very cheap:

https://northwestguitars.co.uk/products/4-x-bass-tuners-open-back-for-right-handed-fender-squier-jazz-precision-bass

2 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I've just stuck a set of Grover clones on my Aria STB (the 5 string JB DX model), might have to fill and redrill some screw holes but they're a big upgrade over the stock ones and still very cheap:

https://northwestguitars.co.uk/products/4-x-bass-tuners-open-back-for-right-handed-fender-squier-jazz-precision-bass

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it!

I think you can do a lot better for the money. £350 is at the very least £100 too steep for this and honestly doesn't seem like a big enough upgrade from the Aria.

This is also a time where basses were "less handmade" than older vintage guitars, but used more modern maching. Current modern basses are more precisise in my experience as the modern machining tech has improved.

A higher end Squier classic vibe series used would be within your budget and better. You could even buy it from a store with a free setup. Made in Mexico Fenders have also massively improved the past 10 years so if you can stretch your budget out to one of those too, it would be a decent upgrade. My experience with older Mexico Fenders was very, very meh or miss. The newer ones can be very good. A newer year used player series Fender P bass would be good if you can budget it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

From what I know, the 90’s Korean squiers have a terrible reputation. Luckily these days there are plenty of good options for that money new and used. I got my Sire for the same price on here just last year and that’s very good.

I believe it's more that quality control was very hit or miss. Mine is a decent bass which definitely has some quirks, but it's also worth noting that they were made in different factories at different times so it's not that easy to say they're all awful. Mine was made in the Cort factory whereas the one above was from the Sunghan factory.

• Like 3

As said elsewhere you can get a whole lot more for £350. Well into the realms of secondhand Yamaha, Squier, Sire, Ibanez, even nudging secondhand Mexican standard Fenders. 

Good luck on your mission!

I had a Bruce Thomas Profile Bass, for a while and it was great. There are lots of positive comments about this model on this site. Pretty sure I saw one for sale around this budget in the classifieds recently. 

• Like 1

Ibanez Roadsta/er, or Blazer, a used one, you get a ton of good sound. And weight. But do not buy anything without a test drive. I know you may have preference for strings, but the bass usually talks to you somehow with any strings.