Why become a member? ×

NBD - actually old bass day....my First proper bass!

Bassmingo

Circa 1994/95 I bought my first proper bass after learning on a POS for the previous year. It was a Washburn B-10 and being the age I was, I adorned it with many stickers. Around 1998 I decided that this bass thing wasn't a phase and I needed a better instrument, so I bought a Musicman Stingray, which I still have to this day.  Soon after, an ex of mine said that her little sister wanted to learn bass, so I donated the Washburn. I certainly didn't want it now that I had a shiny new Stingray.

Fast forward to last week, when that ex messaged me on FB (we're still on speaking terms and we both now live in the same town) to tell me that her sister never really took to bass, and that she still had it somewhere and did I want it back? Of course I did! So I collected it last night, still in the same gig bag and with the same stickers on it! I was instantly transported to my teenage bedroom where I learned many a metal tune on this very bass and composed some of my first pieces of original material. The bass is still playable but there are some problems. The scarf joint seems to be starting to split and I can't get the neck relief straight enough as the truss seems to be causing a crack in the neck if I tighten it too much. other than that nothing a soldering iron can't fix.

Anyway, I think I'll leave it as is as a time capsule to mess about at home. 

Moral of the story, try and stay on good terms with your exes!

IMG_8430.jpeg

• Like 17