Why become a member? ×

Ebay Palaver

I was looking for a cheap (but quality) cab and an Eden D210 MBX turned up on eBay. The Seller sent an offer and, as it included postage, I bought it. 

This was on Sunday 9th of June. The seller posted it on the 12th and sent a tracking number. It took a while to get picked up and then said it had left the hub and nothing else happened. It was due to be delivered on the 13th. It was never delivered and Parcelforce told me it had been delivered to Royal Mail and that they had no more information about it.

I contacted the seller and told them and they attempted to push back, telling me it must be in my local depot and I needed to arrange to pick it up. I sent the seller the chat contents to confirm what Parcelforce told me and he seemed to come around, but he has been really slow to acknowledge that I'm not likely to be getting it. He asked me to bare with him as he was working late, but today said I had to give him until the end of the week. I don't feel inclined to do that, apart from really wanting the cab!

Should I just press for a refund? A few cabs have turned up locally and I could actually go and test them rather than buy unseen.

What would you Basschatter's do?

Edited by ardi100

You have to decide whether this is the fault of the seller or the courier. If you’re sure he sent it, then it’s not his fault and personally I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

If you believe he’s ripped you off, sent an empty cardboard box or lied about jt, that’s a different matter.

In the end you’re 100% certain to get your money back. I’m guessing an old Eden cabinet isn’t worth much, so I’d wait a bit and see what happens. Or you could message every 38 minutes like someone did before when a £13 item didn’t turn up the day after I sent it.

• Like 1

I agree with Burns Bass, if the seller has handed it over to the courier as intended then it’s not really his concern, it would be unfair for him to lose the cab and the money, but completely understand it’s the same for you. It’s what postage insurance is for, it’s not nice paying £20 to fully insure something but it’s there for moments like this. 

What is it that you want the seller to do? 

1 minute ago, sammybee said:

I'd just file a complaint with eBay and let them take the strain.. Afterall, they should earn their high fees

Thanks.

I have started that process, and they won't get involved until after his 'end of the week's timeframe. So I suppose I can't do much anyway.

1 minute ago, ardi100 said:

Thanks.

I have started that process, and they won't get involved until after his 'end of the week's timeframe. So I suppose I can't do much anyway.

It will get sorted rest assured, and they will find in your favour based on what you have posted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sammybee said:

I'd just file a complaint with eBay and let them take the strain.. Afterall, they should earn their high fees

I agree,no suppose I'd like him to be more proactive. He was really reluctant to even entertain the idea that it wasn't at my end. 

He has insurance, so I'm not sure why it isn't more straightforward.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ardi100 said:

I agree,no suppose I'd like him to be more proactive. He was really reluctant to even entertain the idea that it wasn't at my end. 

He has insurance, so I'm not sure why it isn't more straightforward.

I’m sorry but I’ve been on his side of this. eBay offers zero protection to sellers. Buyers can - and do - sometimes claim items haven’t arrived and claim compensation. If he’s given you the tracking details what more can he do?

Royal Mail is under huge pressure at the moment and deliveries can take some time. I’d give it until the end of the week and see what happens.

Again, if you paid through eBay there is zero risk. If you kick up a fuss now and the cab does turn up (which  in 99% of cases it will) you’ll have created a load of hassle for nothing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Burns-bass said:

I’m sorry but I’ve been on his side of this. eBay offers zero protection to sellers. Buyers can - and do - sometimes claim items haven’t arrived and claim compensation. If he’s given you the tracking details what more can he do?

Royal Mail is under huge pressure at the moment and deliveries can take some time. I’d give it until the end of the week and see what happens.

Again, if you paid through eBay there is zero risk. If you kick up a fuss now and the cab does turn up (which  in 99% of cases it will) you’ll have created a load of hassle for nothing. 

Fair enough, and I'm happy for it to turn up. He's just been either dismissive or inactive. 

Freight was organised through a 3rd party (parcel 2go or something similar) so I imagine it would be fairly simple to sort out. 

I don't really understand how there can be no further tracking information.

17 minutes ago, ardi100 said:

Fair enough, and I'm happy for it to turn up. He's just been either dismissive or inactive. 

Freight was organised through a 3rd party (parcel 2go or something similar) so I imagine it would be fairly simple to sort out. 

I don't really understand how there can be no further tracking information.

I’m not sticking up for the guy and he may end up being a scumbag, but people want the cheapest way to send parcels and that’s through a third party. 

Third parties make it even worse to try and figure out what’s happening. Parcelforce won’t actually deal with you if you’ve booked through an intermediary.

We’re all hoping it works out!

• Like 2

Did he package the cab? ... I suppose if you're not an experienced shipper or seller, the temptation is to just slap a label on the item & hope for the best. I've known this happen once or twice

I've actually just assumed he packaged it! I thought couriers would refuse to carry it if it wasn't packaged appropriately.

He's sold a ton of stuff, some guitar gear and hi-fi stuff, so I had thought it would be well packed.

I had a massive issue with Parcel2Go when I shipped some gear( a bass ) as a seller to an eBay buyer who chose Argos in Sainsbury’s. Argos wouldn’t take it ( too large a box ) and the courier UPS shipped it back not to me the sender but a Parcel2Go depot !!

Getting a response from Parcel2Go was a total nightmare and two weeks later it arrived back with me !! 
All ok until you need help and these parcel sites have terrible after sales service. UPS wouldn’t help as it was booked through P2G !! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I've got a guy that will deliver all over England, is insured, used to music kit - job done !

😎

Could you share details, I’ve been chasing another BC’ers similar contact without luck 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ardi100 said:

So, my cab finally turned up. Now I'm being accused of attempted fraud!

Ahh, this happened to me!

The courier claims they delivered it (but they didn’t as they were in a rush). They then come back and drop the parcel off a few days later.

I have correspondence somewhere from a delivery company explaining this is what had happened. 

Guess it’s that the courier had too much work on. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ardi100 said:

That I'm lying about when it arrived and that they have information from the courier that it was delivered earlier than when I said it was.

Glad it arrived for you, was there no tracking info for you to show them 

55 minutes ago, ardi100 said:

That I'm lying about when it arrived and that they have information from the courier that it was delivered earlier than when I said it was.

Yes, courier tracking data will stand up well in court :)

Whoever made the accusation, go back and tell them that you solicitor has taken a dim view of what appears to be slander, and that they will be hearing from her on Monday morning 👍

9 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Who by? That's a pretty serious accusation

I agree, and was fairly well taken back by it.

The tracking info stopped working after a few days but when I checked it now it shows the cab being delivered today.