Why become a member? ×

That Ampeg Sound

DGBass

I use the VT Bass for my general Ampeg sound. I think sometimes people conflate "has the Ampeg characteristics" with "sounds identical to this specific amp". The VTBass does a great job in giving me the general characteristics of the Ampeg sound (the way it drives, the way it responds etc.). If you put it side by side an SVTPro it won't sound the same, but neither does another identical SVTPro.

• Like 3

I have played through a plethora of Ampeg amplifiers over my career. I wasn't until I bought my own B15NF that I really appreciated what a great bass amplifier it is. that Tamla Motown sound all day long! I'd never try to gig the amp due to its weight and I'm just getting older!: Moan.

Big fan of inappropriately large tube amps such as the SVT here... but did recently try the new Ampeg Venture V12 and thought it sounded great. Some interesting new cabs too, including an 8x8 that has a cool stage presence. Seems like it's essentially the SGT-DI and a great power amp so if you're enjoy the pedal it would tick that box. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also a big fan of Ampeg. I've owned several types of amps over the years, but yes, the crushing weight of a "real" Ampeg has become just too much in my 60s.

I've gone to an Arkham Oracle pedal pre (maybe something hard to source in UK, etc) with Ganz and other pedal board amps. Gets close, uses tubes and reminds me that although I've used many other amps over the years, Ampeg still makes my basses sound like they are supposed to sound (in my head, at least). 

Was using SansAmp RBI, but it sounds really "solid statey" to me, with no dimension. Very versatile, though and may fool 99.9% of people hearing it live, anyway.

I am using gear that responds to me and have for the last 20 years. Modern pedals do a pretty good "morph" job, but I've only found a few that actually respond to me as a player the way I want. 

It's not just the amps, it's also the speakers. Ampeg has used Eminence almost as long as Eminence has been around, and Eminence bass drivers have a distinctive rise in the midrange. When emulators are voiced they include the voicing contributed by the speakers.

• Like 5

I had the chance to play through an Origin Effects Super Vintage last night at rehearsal albeit very briefly.  Sounded very 'real valve' as opposed to the usual fizzy distortion a lot of the boxes put out.  Very Ampeg-esque and sounded as close as ive got to my old SVT II non pro from a pedal (the Mesa Big Block sounded THE closest out of everything ive tried amp wise)

There tends to be some similarities that Ampeg amps have, yet each model (and often year) can still sound different. I have three Ampeg all tube 100w heads (two varieties, one similar to an SVT and the other a reissue of the 70s V-4B). I have has two other Ampeg hybrid heads (3Pros). I currently have two pretty different Ampeg cabs (Heritage 410 and Reissue 212. All of that sounds pretty different from each other. Some similarities? Yes, some.

Yet often when people thing Ampeg Sound they are thinking SVT or old Fliptops. Those don't sound alike. There is no way I would consider an SVT unless someone else was moving it for me. The weight it too much and that kind of volume is hardly ever needed, especially with any PA support. I know a guy who plays sold out stadiums as the headliner with a 45w head and one cab. They use wedges and no IEMs and he can hear himself just fine. Huge amps are more of a want than necessity these days. There are a few exceptions, obviously.

With my years of being an Ampeg guy, I have found myself really loving my Ashdown ABM 500. Same family of warm vintage sound. But very versatile. It can do vintage to modern. Worth a consideration. 

• Like 2

Yup, I found Ashdown totally by chance. Doing gigs with provided backlines which were more often than not SVT/810 at one I was presented with an Ashdown ABM/215. Thought it was magnificent.

• Like 1

I'm gigging with a PF50T and one or two homebuilt 1x12" cabs with Eminence Beta drivers. It's definitely in the recognisably Ampeg area, but I don't know if it really nails one in particular of the classic models. I like what the preamp does with the mids boosted, the inductor based active mid circuit does something interesting when pushed which is something you wouldn't get from a B15 but might from a V4B or SVT rig. But I'm not worried about accurately recreating another amp's sound, and this one works for me.

• Like 1