Why become a member? ×

Help Needed To Identify a Samick PJ Bass

Bazsi

I recently came across with an older type of Samick PJ bass.

I've tried to find out some basic information about the guitar, but I wasn't successful.

The pickups and the bridge are not originals to the guitar, these were replaced during the years.

The only info I've found that this tree-note logo was the first and it was used between 1972 and 1986. So it narrows down the period a bit.

I am wondering if someone has some info about the bass (model name, period of manufacture and specifics).

Any help would be appreciated.

modified1.jpg

modified4.jpg

modified3.jpg

modified2.jpg

Edited by Bazsi
  • Like 5

That's really interesting - it looks like a more upmarket version of this 1980-ish budget through-neck P type, also made by Samick, sold branded Satellite in the UK.

ok7g239cnkhkzqdgsnqq.jpg

c6fyixa0cqrqfohebyyj.jpg

A quick dig around came up with a single P version of your bass:

samick1jo.jpg.93d1869dfa5d77e2cee6fa5214937e9a.jpg

And a link to a listing of the actual bass you have (same grain patterns) with its original DiMarzio knockoff bridge, and a clearer pic of those odd pickups. Are you sure they're not original? If they're not, the bass has been professionally routed to fit the J-type unit. I don't recognise the logos & a reverse image search doesn'r come up with anything similar. Anyone else recognise these?

2068224_img_20230406_201138.webp

I think you're right that this is from the late 70s/early 80s era, and the problem is that Samick was almost 100% an OEM manufacturer at the time, so there are very few examples or records of what they sold under their own name - the earliest catalogue I can find is 1987, and there's nothing like this there.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I'm sorry for my late answer. Thank you for your help and for the photos. I haven't got any information about the Satellite brand.

Yes, you're absolutely right. This is definitely the same guitar. I made a bigger dig and it showed that this bass was sold 3 times between 2019 and 2024 (my purchase was the 4th).

One of the owners was the manufacturer of the recent pickups. It is a small Hungarian one-man brand, called Woodhead. IMO the manufacturer swapped the pickup for the self made one and possibly that was the time when he added the J-type unit. The bridge was original at this point. Later it was updated by the last owner, who swapped the original with a Schaller 3D-4 roller bridge.

The link you have posted has taken when the manufacturer of the pickup sold it, so it is his advertisement. 

Thanks again for your great help.

Edited by Bazsi
  • Like 2