Why become a member? ×

La Bella 760FL (43 - 104) tension question.

I have just fitted a set of these to a Precision and am finding the tension a little too high for my liking, especially after La Bella LTFs and TIs.

I guess it is not a great shock and I will probably stick with them to see how they feel after a few more hours….

Just one question…. Is this set likely to lose tension as time passes or will the tension always remain the same? I have never kept a set of flats long enough to know!!!

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

The tension will not change. Strings 'loosening up' is a myth. Dunlop Flats are the lowest tension traditional flats I've had experience with that aren't TIs or LTFs. 

I might order a set of Dunlops…. 

Do you use 45s or 40s? 

1 hour ago, MungoBass said:

I might order a set of Dunlops…. 

Do you use 45s or 40s? 

45-105 gauge. 

40-100 felt very similar to TIs and LTFs which is not what I wanted. 

• Thanks 1

One thing I noticed with La Bellas, both the FL and the FM, is that their real qualities come out only when they're played quite firmly. As someone who usually just tickles the strings, I found even the FL were obliging me to play harder than I liked, as my fingers sought out the best sound. I don't recall either of them shedding an initial stiffness.

(Chromes I find the opposite - they take a few days to find their flexibility, but ring out with only a gentle touch.)

• Like 1

Gauge .104 is pretty insane for flatwound strings.

Personally I would use a gauge .095 to .040 flatwound set, even if they got more tension, probably closer to a regular roundwound gauge .100 to .045 set, than the .095 to .040 roundwound set I normally use for my bass in E standard tuning.'

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Gauge .104 is pretty insane for flatwound strings

If insane is the correct word for the 760FL 43-60-82-104 set, will we be calling the 760FS 45-65-85-105 immoral, the 760FM 49-69-89-109 perverted and the 0760M 52-73-95-110 depraved ?

I use a 45-65-85-105 set of flats and they seem unproblematic to my dainty, arthritis-laden fingers.

• Like 3

I mainly only use LTFs but labella does an extra light gauge set 760FX which are 039 .056 .077. 096, which I had once, green silks I think?,  similar guages but they were quite bright for what I was looking for at the time 

27 minutes ago, Munurmunuh said:

the 0760M 52-73-95-110 depraved

I had those, and they are crazy steel cables that I think came off the dartford bridge 😁, I had trouble getting them round the tuning pegs , sounded good though 

Edited by Reggaebass

On 29/06/2024 at 12:52, fretmeister said:

If you like the sound just get a lighter set of the same!

Ha! I have done it the other way round! Started with the FX La Bella (39 - 96) and thought I would try a heavier set!

On 30/06/2024 at 15:35, Reggaebass said:

I mainly only use LTFs but labella does an extra light gauge set 760FX which are 039 .056 .077. 096, which I had once, green silks I think?,  similar guages but they were quite bright for what I was looking for at the time 

I have a set of these on my AVRI P! Very green silks!

IMG_6385.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/06/2024 at 13:43, Baloney Balderdash said:

Gauge .104 is pretty insane for flatwound strings.

Yep, insanely light! I have FS on one of my Ps and the G string is too thin for my tastes.🙂

To the OP, lowering the string heights a bit will make them easier to play if you’re finding them too much effort currently. 

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

To the OP, lowering the string heights a bit will make them easier to play if you’re finding them too much effort currently. 

Lowering the strings will require higher tension to get to pitch, then if strings are higher. So will require more pressure to push them downward, not seeing how that's gonna make them easier to play?

31 minutes ago, JJMotown said:

Lowering the strings will require higher tension to get to pitch, then if strings are higher. So will require more pressure to push them downward, not seeing how that's gonna make them easier to play?

Physics dictates that pitch is a function of string length, string mass and string tension. Height has nothing to do with it. If the sounding string length and string mass remain the same, then the tension required to maintain a base pitch of say 55 Hz on the A string remains the same. Lowering the height just narrows the distance one has to press the strings, which costs less physical effort.

The further one increases the string height, the further one is stretching the string in order to bring it into contact with the fret, hence the more under tension from the base value the string becomes when fretting compared to lower string heights. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input on this topic. I bought a set of Dunlop flats a couple of months ago, put them on a Precision and really like them, so my lightly used La Bellas will be soon looking for a new home. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Supernaut said:

Welcome to the club. 

A great recommendation thanks and the timing was perfect……I had just sold the wife’s car so I then had enough cash to buy a set!

Flippin’ expensive strings but well worth it! 

• Haha 1