Why become a member? ×

Lessons in Love

So, the pub band have suggested Level 42's Lessons in Love. Great song and will work well in our set.

However... playing the slap bassline is another matter!

I can play it right through with regular fingerstyle playing, but slapping I'm sounding quite messy and can't quite keep it up for the whole song. I've never played a great deal of slap to be fair, although it's not totally unheard of.

The guys in the band are saying nobody will care and just play it with my fingers, but I disagree - I think it is one song where the bassist's technique will be noticed!

Does anyone have any advice on technique or stamina, other than the obvious one - PRACTICE!

Thanks,

George

I played Hot Water with a band. Fingerstyle. Nobody cared 🙂

Make sure you relax your arm/muscles every chance you get. Let your arms hang down, so blood flows.
When practicing, instead of trying to play faster, try playing it slower and slower and... (with a metronome). Your playing will become more precise which will result in being able to play it faster, less messy, with less effort.

We played this live version:

Edited by ChrisDev
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ChrisDev said:

I played Hot Water with a band. Fingerstyle. Nobody cared 🙂

Make sure you relax your arm/muscles every chance you get. Let your arms hang down, so blood flows.
When practicing, instead of trying to play faster, try playing it slower and slower and... (with a metronome). Your playing will become more precise which will result in being able to play it faster, less messy, with less effort.

We played this live version:

Perhaps nobody will care! I'm forever saying I care more about getting folk up dancing than the opinion of so called 'musos' hanging out at bar nursing a pint.

Very sensible advice you've given too, thank you.