Why become a member? ×

Anyone who has saw my previous builds will know my fondness for the humble 51 P-bass, well the fondness remains but I'm not doing the build this time 🙂

Some unexpected housing issues have my home workshop dismantled in preparation for a move. Trouble is I did that in April and April saw a significant birthday which deserved a bass 😁

Facebook provided the solution in the capable hands of Mark Provan and Bonnywood Guitars 😎 First spotted Mark's work when photos of his 'Super Yob' guitars appeared in a feed, could have knocked me down with a feather when I discovered the man lived 10 - 15 minutes away 😮

SuperYob.thumb.jpg.55582a0f4a01b7bb80ecaad2137d7a6a.jpg

A short message asking if he had time for a P-bass build then things were up and running 🙂

• Like 2

I wasted a bit time thinking about hardware, did I go with chrome or gold. Chrome won so 2nd week in May the parts and materials went to Mark.

Materials.thumb.jpg.721160ce8d962dfc36242a9cd00ff77c.jpg

Body blank is Utile with a black walnut drop top. Neck is Panga Panga with a Panga Panga fretboard. All from Reid Timber in Glasgow.

Hardware/electrics are Aklot 23:1 tuners, chrome control plate/knobs, Wilkinson by Gotoh compensated 2 saddle bridge. This bass will be the new home for the 29k monster Dave at Bloodstone Guitarworks made for me a few years back.

DSC_0283.thumb.JPG.d13aaf7617fffdd052e33011219c443e.JPG

• Like 2

This is 6 week of a 3 month build estimate and I'm sure you'll agree Mark is doing a great job 🙂

I'd say no more updates until it's nearer completion, doubt anyone is interested in seeing 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc coats of oil 😀

The man is well on track with my build so can tackle other jobs, if you'd like to see those other jobs please check out his Facebook page 👍

https://www.facebook.com/BonnyWoodInstruments

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Ooh that neck wood looks lush!  Nice one!!!

Aye, turned out lovely 🙂

Just in from work, Mark has sent me these photos with a wee note saying he thinks it's time to leave things to settle for a couple of weeks .

LastCoatNeck1.thumb.jpg.cf13ab5f85c18b7d8759f4a52d224b6c.jpgLastCoatNeck2.thumb.jpg.b5abf5a036cc669fba48d04932e7862d.jpg

LastCoatBody.thumb.jpg.626d0c0f053033dec3ae9723873ed516.jpgLastCoatBody2.thumb.jpg.f74c9df4e9f93f78b317072a410e4d0e.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...