Why become a member? ×

Wireless Mics and IEMs 863-865MHz Any issues?

Our good friend  @EBS_freak is a fount of (Either IBC  or ISE information regarding matter wireless but in looking at various cost effective products available it is clear that the majority use the licence free 863-865 MHz band. These are often described as UHF.

Many years ago I needed a wireless mic for a speech at an exhibition. Our good friends at Shure kindly loaned me a microphone operating in the 863-865 MHz band. Well it was a disaster. So many exhibitors were using this limited band that the mic signal kept cutting in and out. I checked with Shure and sure enough they, and everyone else around had the same problem. Now an AV or Broadcast exhibition will have a lot of wireless audio and other cr4p flying around. In real life, I did have to change out a Mic using the 863-865 MHz band at the local football club owing to interference from mobile phones. The last round of spectrum auctions put some mobile phones adjacent to  the  863-865 MHz band. That  was mic was changed to one the operated in a licenced band that unfortunately means an annual fee each July.

Edited by Chienmortbb

Yes, if you're on Channel 70, you'll always be limited on the number of units you'll be able to operate in that frequency range (4 is usually the limit) so at any broadcast exhibition, I wouldn't expect it to be much use at all. Even channel 38 is going to be very limited, without some agreement in place between the various exhibitors.

As you've mentioned, 4g mobile data is now operating in the old channel 69 frequency range, which will take it close to the lower limits of channel 70. The reccomendation is to re-tune the euipment towards the upper limit of the channel if there are problems. 

You've not mentioned what you think falls into the cost-effective category, but I know the LD IEM units for channel 70 can also be tuned in the 823-832MHz band (which is included in the standard licence). Personally, I just bit the bullet and purchased a licence, as I wanted at least 4 channels of IEM's with the flexibility to add more if required and I wanted to move away from channel 70.

I think we'll start to see more of the bigger players moving to digital only systems and dropping their UHF offerings (Sennheiser have discontinued the G4 series and are running down stocks) which may improve things.