Why become a member? ×

BOSS GT-10B (anyone still use one)

glassmoon

Hi all,

So, in 2024, with the glut of Line 6 gear out there - among maaaaaaany other brands on the MultiFX shelf... is anyone still using a BOSS GT-10B?

I used to own one - loved it - and stupidly sold it (GAS is a crippling affliction that so many of us suffer from).

I'm interested if anyone still uses one!

Julian aka Glassmoon

I used the software that was recommended and it was pretty easy to navigate and do what I needed to do... after a lot of trial and error.  The fretless, as you mentioned @Owen, was pretty convincing, and a huge win for doing ballady type stuff.  I really enjoyed that could blend everything as if I was running through a parallel FX loop - so my bottom end never got weak.  There were so many great pros... I just wasn't using it enough to warrant having it - boy, do I regret that decision now.

I guess though... for the price you can find one (between £150 and £200 on eBay)... it's less than half the price of say an HX Stomp, but not too far away from the aforementioned 90B... so, do I just bite the bullet and get the New Blue Boss?  @uk_lefty, what is the software like that you can use on the 90B?

Conundrums aplenty.

Posted (edited)

No, but I do use and love my Zoom B1Xon multi effect, which was release just about 5 years later than the Boss GT-10B, in late 2013.

So also a fairly old digital unit.

The distortion and amp modeling frankly sucks though, but a lot of the rest of the effects sound genuinely brilliant (and the distortion effects can still be used as special effects). 

I use it mainly for reverb and delay effects, but most of the modulation effects sound excellent as well.

It is worth to notice that some of the much sought after digital reverb effects are of even older date, so CPU power is not everything, what matters to a considerably larger degree is how the algorithms are done (of course somewhat depending on the specific effect simulated/emulated, distortion and amp modeling does seem to be more demanding in order to sound realistic).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

@glassmoon my new Boss unit won't arrive until late this month so I've not bothered looking at the software yet, unfortunately. 

What I like about the ME-90B is the knobs and dials, easier to tweak those than mess around in digital menus, I don't have the patience to learn all of that. I found my Helix made me spend more time experimenting with sounds than actually playing bass, most likely my own lack of discipline than anything else but even so, I'm expecting a much more intuitive experience with the ME90-B.

• Like 1

Yeah, I would love an HX Stomp - it's so small and packs a mighty punch, but the learning curve for me coupled with the price makes it an uncertain option.

I really miss my 10B, for what I really got out of it... and I figure the 90B would be somewhere in the same ballpark...

Posted (edited)

I've got one too. Use it as my sound interface/card and for a bit of limiting. Programming on is a breeze on a PC although the levels and multiple gains over an effect-chain can quickly get out of hand/noisy. The public sound library I think still only has two contributions from Boss artists. Both terrible. As is the tracking on pitch-shifting and the tuner. So a bit of a mixed feast with some quite distinct positives and negatives.

** Edit my comments refer to a GT-1B not 10B sorry **

Edited by visog
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

There's a GT10-B on eBay at £159 or best offer. I have no affiliation to the seller, etc.

I've been looking at that for a couple of days now, wondering if I should pull the trigger or not. I'd love to play with one again for a few days just to see how good or bad the sounds are 

I’ve recently been gigging my GT10b again. It’s got a really nice set of stock effects. Still sounds decent today. The parallel signal chains are really useful.

Compared to the latest L6 and even Boss 1k offerings though the ‘amp modelling’ is a way off as are the drives, but for everything else it’s a good one stop shop.

• Like 1

Yeah, that is what I've been thinking too... 
BTW - I don't remember... in scene or patch mode, I can flip between Scene A and Scene B, can't I?

I need to see if it's viable for songs where there is one patch for the verses and another for the choruses... my Zoom MS-60B allows me to turn a drive on and off using the line selector.  I just don't remember now LOL

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, glassmoon said:

in scene or patch mode, I can flip between Scene A and Scene B, can't I?

Yes, it’s really two parallel pathways; A or B, but you can stick whatever you want in each path. Best plan is to have a core tone and add the extra bits you want into pathway B.

You also have a tonnes of assigns with the Boss stuff so you can change the settings of all the effects in your chain using a single click of the CTRL pedal.

Edited by NoirBass

1 hour ago, NoirBass said:

Yes, it’s really two parallel pathways; A or B, but you can stick whatever you want in each path. Best plan is to have a core tone and add the extra bits you want into pathway B.

You also have a tonnes of assigns with the Boss stuff so you can change the settings of all the effects in your chain using a single click of the CTRL pedal.

Of course - the CTRL pedals!!!  I've done this before... damn, I'm itching now for one of these... or do I save for ages for the HX Stomp LOL

Man, I need a life

11 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Well, we are all different but I went from GT10-B to HX Stomp, separates for a good few years, now going to the Boss ME90-B. 

Interesting that you're going from the Stomp to the ME90... I've looked at those... they look amazing.  Wondering if they have the functionality too

I ditched the stomp a few years ago and have been using various individual pedals since. I just found the Stomp mind blowing for how much it could do but I was barely using 1% of it's capability.