Why become a member? ×

Oh Oh July , do you love me Truly , composition challenge time duly

lurksalot

@AndyTravis on hot form again, with a great tune, and taking the honours for June .

His choice for the picture is a cracker......

"Seems only right…

At this stage, surely anyone can run a country?

Why not a 30ft pigeon?"

image.png.3263035deca470200cdac5ff1e6131f9.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and the deadline.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No Bagpipes/panpipes as the photo is from London, though it might be a Scottish pigeon, so if they are very low in the mix, it might slide.

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline-wise, we will go for Midnight on the 24th (effectively Tea time on the 25th I guess) 

A line or two of blurb as usual for the vote thread will be super smashing. 

Good luck, Have fun 

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Here is my contribution to the July 2024 Basschat Composition Challenge, illustrated with a picture chosen by Andy Travis.
Little by little, by stealth, Evolution is relentlessly creeping up on us all. Some species are faster at it than others, all the more so using mimicry.
Fully orchestral, this time, using Philharmonic 1. Five tracks, layered over a constant cackle from the lesser creatures plus a couple of Bob Reynolds saxes, all in Reaper, of course, with only a NY Glue Cockos compressor and a spot of Ozone 8 on the Master track.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

Hey Mr Big Pigeon with your enormous feet and puffed-out chest! You be flexin'! 

Had lots of fun with bass drums in this sort-of waltz... All guitars and bass are actually my Sandberg Basic through Bias FX/Bias Amp/BX Rockrack. All has been liberally rolled in Ozone 9 and Neutron 3 with a smattering of Raum/Dubstation 2.

• Like 2

After my stressful computer upgrade and during my early convalescence ( hernia op) I have found a bit of time to put something together.

I reckon it needs a well sung lyric over it , Lurksalittle reckons not, I think her taste in male lyrical presentation reflects the same general misunderstanding of my dulcet tones that prevails here. ;)

Strut

EZdrummer does his thing with aplomb, VGiron did the heavy lifting with the rhythm guitar , I then thrashed about on my Ibby six string  and plinky plonked the bass line, both put through Waves Gtr3 .

I have to say , I was quite surprised to get the bass tone I did , I have been trying to get something like that for years without really working too hard to nail it , but I found a pull pot on my fave bass that brought it alive , who'd have thought eh :D.

well that's my story and I'm sticking to it .  

• Like 1

In the heart of London’s bustling financial district, Tarquin toils away, gazing out of his office window at the birds soaring freely. Envious of their liberty, he yearns to become a pigeon. In an unexpected twist, he transforms into a colossal 12-foot pigeon—ironically, one that remains grounded. Now, with wings too heavy to lift, he continues his daily grind, navigating the corporate world as an oversized avian.

lyrics:

Spoiler

Pigeon of the financial abyss

Tarquin in his cage
Numbers fuel the rage
Cold suits, city grind
Freedom he can't find

Pigeons soaring high
Envy clouds his mind
Dreams of skybound life
Trapped in concrete strife

Wings of steel, twelve feet tall
Office hell, crashing walls
Freedom lost in pigeon dust
Flightless bird, broken trust

Transformation doom
Feathers fill the room
Stuck in finance hell
Monstrous bird can't tell

Pigeons soaring high
Envy clouds his mind
Dreams of skybound life
Trapped in concrete strife

Transformation doom
Feathers fill the room
Stuck in finance hell
Monstrous bird can't tell

Pigeon dreams defiled
Freedom now denied
Slave to corporate greed
Never will be freed

Broken trust

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 2

Here's mine, and two days before the deadline. Sounds like I rushed it 😁

There's been a coup (coo?) and Britain wakes up to a 10ft tall genetically modified pigeon as PM. And, why not? However, the choice of Chancellor rankles and our Tom Waits-lite narrator isn't impressed. He'd rather a Looney Tunes alternative, but dare not speak out as the totalitarian reign begins and the big clock is on the blink...

Lyrics hidden below.

Spoiler

The fat cats kept getting fatter

So before a chance of an election

The government was overthrown by a genetically modified abomination

Now, we've got a GMPM who's declared himself the winner

A ten feet tall pigeon taking over the last lots' dog's dinner

Clean up the city; eat a pigeon

Now, a common starling's got the job

Of Chancellor of the Exchequer

I'd rather that position was held

By Woody Woodpecker

Foghorn Leghorn, I guess

He could do it at a push

But speaking out of turn these days

Gets you a smack in the mush

Yeah

I'm a lame duck

Labour, Tory, Green, or Liberal Democrat

Cast out from trampling on Westminster's welcome mat

No democratic process, the people haven't spoken

And the chimes of Big Ben, well, they appear to be broken

It's a coo d'état

HB Tele for guitar and Ableton for bass, drums, keys and various clanging sounds, aided by the dynamic duo of Wavepad and Audacity. A couple of samples from Freesound.

• Like 3

On 04/07/2024 at 01:05, Dad3353 said:

Here is my contribution to the July 2024 Basschat Composition Challenge, illustrated with a picture chosen by Andy Travis.
Little by little, by stealth, Evolution is relentlessly creeping up on us all. Some species are faster at it than others, all the more so using mimicry.
Fully orchestral, this time, using Philharmonic 1. Five tracks, layered over a constant cackle from the lesser creatures plus a couple of Bob Reynolds saxes, all in Reaper, of course, with only a NY Glue Cockos compressor and a spot of Ozone 8 on the Master track.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Nice tune, but what's going on with this Vindicta Veritas commentfest? A bot? A shunned guitarist? A shunned bot guitarist? I assume The Cruiser is on overtime duties with the majority of the ramblings?

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, upside downer said:

Nice tune, but what's going on with this Vindicta Veritas commentfest? A bot? A shunned guitarist? A shunned bot guitarist? I assume The Cruiser is on overtime duties with the majority of the ramblings?

Thanks for that; I hadn't noticed (in fact, I wondered what the heck you were meaning..!). Yes, I see it now, and 'Yes, it's a disgruntled person, banned from a sister Forum, thinking to 'get back at me' for my Mod actions there'. I'll get on to Soundcloud to get it all cleaned up; it would appear that they, too, have 'limited his options'. New ID each time; he'll tire of it after a while, hopefully. Nowt better to do; that's sad, I find. :|

Edit : Duly reported to Soundcloud, the comments will be cleaned away shortly. Some folk, eh..? :(

Edit bis : Sorted (until the next time..?); thanks to Soundcloud Support staff.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3

A quick hurry up for any stragglers putting the final touches, tweaking the vocal up 1.5db in the mix , or looking for a complete new synth sound to replace the original … you’ve got about 9 hours 😁.

• Thanks 1