Why become a member? ×

Inexpensive 5 string bass with stainless steel frets?

tretim

Posted (edited)

Hi Tretim , 

I bought one of these to go alongside my 4 String  Ray ,   https://harleybenton.com/product/enhanced-mj-5mn-natural/, ( mines the P variant with the MM behind )
I Grabbed, Direct from Thomman because same as you I too am allergic to Nickel and wanted a cheap 5 .  I mainly have problems with Euros  especially in my pockets..... and belt / watch buckles/straps.  

Give me a Holler if you are anywhere near Woking you're more than welcome to come to try it out.

Lyle / Synth

Edited by synthaside

22 minutes ago, synthaside said:

Hi Tretim , 

I bought one of these to go alongside my 4 String  Ray ,   https://harleybenton.com/product/enhanced-mj-5mn-natural/, ( mines the P variant with the MM behind )
I Grabbed, Direct from Thomman because same as you I too am allergic to Nickel and wanted a cheap 5 .  I mainly have problems with Euros  especially in my pockets..... and belt / watch buckles/straps.  

Give me a Holler if you are anywhere near Woking you're more than welcome to come to try it out.

Lyle / Synth

Hi Lyle

That's exactly the one I have. It's just too heavy unfortunately, my neck and shoulder are killing me because of the weight. It's a great bass otherwise.

Posted (edited)

AHH sorry to hear that I thought I they are quite varied on weight but usually on the heavy side ...

Have you considered ....  Some DIY Weight relief considering the price on the them you could do much much worse 😉

Edited by synthaside

On 02/07/2024 at 09:09, neepheid said:

The new Sire Z7 has stainless frets according to the specs.  5 string is £569 at Andertons.  It's not out until August though, so couldn't tell you about weight etc.

Another vote for Sire. I have a Sire Guitar and very impressed with the build quality. Not looked at the 5 string basses but the 4 string ones look good.

16 hours ago, synthaside said:

I mainly have problems with Euros  especially in my pockets..... 

Today I learned my spending problem is actually just a nickel allergy :lol:

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, synthaside said:

Hi Tretim , 

Lyle / Synth

Just curious, what strap do you use with yours? I keep using mine hoping I get used to the weight but the pain in my shoulder becomes unbearable.

I have absolute admiration for anyone who can stand with a 5kg+ guitar or bass for a lengthy period of time 😅

18 hours ago, synthaside said:

Have you considered ....  Some DIY Weight relief considering the price on the them you could do much much worse

Next video- how to correct neck dive by inserting weights in these handy holes...

Seriously if you want to hollow a guitar, he's focused on the wrong end.

I use a pretty wide big Foam backed leather strap, i bought years ago to tame the neck dive for my Thunderbird , something like this ( not exact )  https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1015219225/extra-wide-softy-guitar-strap-bass?gpla=1&gao=1&

It may help that I'm 6'3  still just under 40  and built like a Rugby forward who enjoys too many pies , Mine is heavy and in fairness I' don't primary gig it  it may come out for a song or two that needs the Low B  but  I find the string spacing a touch narrow as well  compared to the gaps you could drive a car through on my Ray

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, synthaside said:

I use a pretty wide big Foam backed leather strap, i bought years ago to tame the neck dive for my Thunderbird , something like this ( not exact )  https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1015219225/extra-wide-softy-guitar-strap-bass?gpla=1&gao=1&

It may help that I'm 6'3  still just under 40  and built like a Rugby forward who enjoys too many pies , Mine is heavy and in fairness I' don't primary gig it  it may come out for a song or two that needs the Low B  but  I find the string spacing a touch narrow as well  compared to the gaps you could drive a car through on my Ray

Well me being 5'6 and 125lbs is certainly not helping matters. I'm using a 3" strap and was thinking of buying the Gruvgear solo but I doubt it would make a difference.

I use a Neotech Mega Strap, I've used them for years and it made wearing 12lbs+ Gibsons tolerable for gigs.  I'm 5' 9" and while I prefer not to know an accurate weight for myself, I don't think I'm huge.  I still fit into 34" jeans, put it that way.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tretim said:

I've found this which a user is selling on here which seems like a good deal?

It's within my budget, light and has stainless steel frets.

That's a good price and they are good basses. Something to note is that with the bottom strap button in its original position, apparently it balances a bit awkwardly, so a few people have moved the button to a central position (this had been done to my EHB1265MS, the fancy wood version of the EHB1005).

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 04/07/2024 at 16:11, tretim said:

That's exactly the one I have. It's just too heavy unfortunately, my neck and shoulder are killing me because of the weight. It's a great bass otherwise.

I'm seriously tempted by one of them. My Squire Vintage Modified Jazz 4 string is already 4.8kg, so think the weight won't feel too bad. Having said that I do normally need a bass back in the stand break during practice/rehearsal! Have you weighed it?

Edit: Beg your pardon, you've already said your guitar weighed 5kg, and later that you had the MJ-5MN. Found the thread by seach and hit page 2.

Edited by DocTrucker

On 09/07/2024 at 06:54, DocTrucker said:

I'm seriously tempted by one of them. My Squire Vintage Modified Jazz 4 string is already 4.8kg, so think the weight won't feel too bad. Having said that I do normally need a bass back in the stand break during practice/rehearsal! Have you weighed it?

Edit: Beg your pardon, you've already said your guitar weighed 5kg, and later that you had the MJ-5MN. Found the thread by seach and hit page 2.

Yes. It weighs exactly 5kg. It's a great bass for the money and mine arrived set up and ready to go with no obvious QC issues. If the weight wouldn't bother you, it might be worth giving one a try as Thomann offer free returns.

@tretim great to hear the feedback. I was hoping the "Pro Series" may have ment a notch up on the QC. I've got the six string H650 (lighter than the squire!) which was ok, just had little niggles around the inonation and neck setup. Latter I wouldn't have known about, the Luither who I oaid for a setup told me about it.

Sorry to hear you're not getting along with yours. Understandable though, I do feel the effects of long practice sessions with the Squire (reweighed at 4.6kg sans strap). Must start core exercises again soon!