Why become a member? ×

Strap Blocks

As an alternative to rubber washers, I can recommend the D'Addario Dual-Lock jobbies I've been using for a while now. Can't vouch for how secure they might be if one is a Hyperactive Flea rather than an Entwistle Statue like me, but they work well and are easy to click on and off. They've also got a channel which holds your cable securely - this grips the cable pretty tightly, so I leave mine attached to my cable at the appropriate point, then it's just a case of plug the jack into the socket, clip the lock onto the strap button, and I'm good to go.

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/strap-accessories/strap-locks/dual-lock/

daddario.png

• Like 5

On 02/07/2024 at 16:15, casapete said:

Beats me why folk mess with strap locks

When I got my G&L SB-1, I discovered that the upper horn was a tiny bit shorter than what I was used to, and that my wrist was having to twist a little more than usual to reach the first frets. A strap lock added the ½" that made all the difference 🤓 Instant improvement in comfort.

Posted (edited)
On 03/07/2024 at 15:49, Jack said:

The BC ones were a limited run unfortunately. Although maybe @ped still has some behind the sofa or in an old pair of pants?

Many thanks to @ped for sending me some of said BC strap blocks. I'll try them out, as well as some loud Ernie Ball lime green ones I've ordered. 

On 02/07/2024 at 14:19, Hellzero said:

On 03/07/2024 at 15:28, rushbo said:

I've been using Grolschlocks* for about 15 years with no issues.

However...

I've bought several sets of the "rubber washer" type locks from various places (incl. Fender) and found that without fail, they go hard, brittle and tear or crack after a while. On the other hand, the Grolsch ones stay supple and resilient after years and years of use - including taking straps on and off multiple times.

I bought a bag of 100 from eBay in 2009-ish. I've still got loads left. I love 'em.

*TM: neepheid 2024

These Litorange 'Grolshlocks' look fantastic, good value for money too. Made of silicone, so I guess stretch easily to go over the strap button. I may end up trying these too. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. 

Edited by dmc79

I tried these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C7H382DD?th=1

Good - easy to grip due to the shape, decent texture makes them grippy. Fairly supple and easy to stretch over strap pin. Bad - a little bit too thick for using with a thicker strap.

And D'Addario Flex Lock Strap Blocks https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CH8GD2Q7

Good - quite thin, so useful for thick straps. Little tab makes removal easier. Quite soft and flexible. Smaller hole so tighter fit. Bad - the little tab isn't very grippy, so not actually that easy to grab.

The best ones I have are simple round rubber ones but with a matte finish and a fine cross grained pattern all over, making them really grippy. No idea where I got them, so I'm keeping them safe (I remove my strap after playing, usually)

• Like 1

As a relatively new player I copied what I saw and got a nice quality strap and some strap buttons. I play at home and rehearsal studios and I move around a bit but I’m not crazy. My bass fell off its strap even with the buttons/washers on (and I do check it often). Thankfully no damage. 
Next day bought some Schaller (sp) strap locks cos it’s not worth the damage to my instrument for the sake of £20 or so. Proper mechanical connection , feels super secure. 
You guys and gals must be standing like our great leader Mr Entwhistle to make the buttons/washers work. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

As a relatively new player I copied what I saw and got a nice quality strap and some strap buttons. I play at home and rehearsal studios and I move around a bit but I’m not crazy. My bass fell off its strap even with the buttons/washers on (and I do check it often). Thankfully no damage. 
Next day bought some Schaller (sp) strap locks cos it’s not worth the damage to my instrument for the sake of £20 or so. Proper mechanical connection , feels super secure. 
You guys and gals must be standing like our great leader Mr Entwhistle to make the buttons/washers work. 

The washers work fine here.  I move around - especially now that I'm wireless.  The only time I've had a bass attempt to make friends with the floor was when I wasn't using the washers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

I don’t move around like Flea but not always a standing still guy either, and never had an issue in over

45 years with Grolsch type washers or the Dunlop Lok Strap washers. 
As you point out there will always be exceptions that prove the rule. I’ve been in bands where 

people have had Straplocks fail too, c’est la vie. 🙂

• Like 2