Why become a member? ×

NBD - Ken Smith Burner Hadrien Feraud Signature

nickmew

Posted (edited)

Well that's a mouthfull.

I've been playing Dingwalls for over a decade, starting with a Combustion and working up via an Afterburner 1 through to a Z3, and more recently have pretty much exclusively been gigging a ABII fretless, a mind blowing machine, but that's another story.

Sometimes, you just hanker for something different, and I'm a sucker for anything in Lake Placid Blue.

So I wandered over to Bassdirect, the dangerously close shop in my home town knowing this beast was there, with an idea I might have a bit of a noodle. Kind of flirting with a friends wife.

I don't want to stretch the analogy too much, but she's absolutely a go-er. I can't say this bass is better than my Z3 or ABII Fretless, they are different beasts, but it absolutely is at the same level, and as with all these things on some aspects better. It has a fundamental mid grind and push that the Dingwalls don't do, or at least don't without fiddling, and just doesn't get in the way of your playing. And is very pretty.

The shop was busy and I didn't even play through an amp - just a headphone amp - but was fairly obvious what it did. I "accidentally" tripped over a stand and the credit card I was holding fell into the card machine. Took it home and, after maybe half an hour actual playing time, took it out to gig at the festival we were playing that evening. A headline set, moving from the 37" multi-scale fretless I'd been playing the last 18 months to the 34" fretted Ken Smith. Ballsy (read dumb) move.

But actually, there were a couple of hairy moments of adjustment, but man this thing kills in terms of sound

20240702_222627.jpg

Edited by nickmew
  • Like 19

On 03/07/2024 at 19:48, spyder said:

I'm so glad you bought it.... I was hovering with my hand on the buy button for days.

Keep us posted on your thoughts. 

I'm so glad you didn't! A week or two and a gig or two, and it's both a tone beast and sweet and silky to play. Really enjoying it and am incredibly impressed with the low B - it really stands up to the Dingwall, which given the 37 inch to 34 inch scale is amazing.

Plus Lake Placid Blue is always a winner. Matches my custom shop telecaster

• Thanks 1

Every time a burner comes up at BD and BB I have to convince myself I really don't want/need... thankfully they sell really quickly so I don't have the pain too long. Congratulations that's a lovely bass.

• Like 2

On 02/07/2024 at 22:48, nickmew said:

I "accidentally" tripped over a stand and the credit card I was holding fell into the card machine

Love that 😁

, congrats it looks like a beauty 

• Like 1

On 03/07/2024 at 22:26, Chopthebass said:

I nearly bought that! I ended up with the Streamette LTD! 
The KS is a fine looking bass! 

a very worthy opponent 😁

On 11/07/2024 at 23:26, NickA said:

How in heavens name do you play that in tune???? 

to be honest after playing normal fretless for a 5-6 years at the same time as playing multi scale fretted for over a decade shifting to multi scale fretless a couple of years ago just made it easier. I find multi-scale, your hand follows the fretline angles, and for fretless this means going from string to string you're more likely to be in the right place without having your fingers tangling with themselves.

Of course everyone is different, but I'm far happier picking up a fretted standard scale and playing than a fretless standard scale now. That would actually make me way more out of tune 😁

• Like 1

On 17/07/2024 at 21:25, nickmew said:

multi scale fretted for over a decade

Truth is, if you can play a fretted bass without buzzing the frets, then you can play fretless in tune.  I suppose once you know where the notes are on a multi scale having frets or not makes no odds.

I'm still struggling a bit with 5 strings...having only played 4 stringed instruments for 50 years.  Old dogs new tricks etc.  multi scale's a step too far for me I think. 🙂 

23 hours ago, NickA said:

years.  Old dogs new tricks etc.  multi scale's a step too far for me I think. 🙂 

I'm over 50, and a couple of weeks ago got an Eastwood Warren Ellis Mandocello. No idea what I'm doing but making some new interesting noises and shapes - and that's what it's about 😁

19 hours ago, nickmew said:

I'm over 50, and a couple of weeks ago got an Eastwood Warren Ellis Mandocello. No idea what I'm doing but making some new interesting noises and shapes - and that's what it's about 😁

I'm over 60 and already have a Viola da Gamba lined up to learn😂😂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/07/2024 at 21:35, Mikey D said:

Every time a burner comes up at BD and BB I have to convince myself I really don't want/need... thankfully they sell really quickly so I don't have the pain too long. Congratulations that's a lovely bass.

I failed/succeeded....

Thanks @OliverBlackman  yes that's the one. The flamed koa actually took my eye for a minute but the neck wasn't as well finished on the back on the laminates. Had I seen the pale moon ebony that was upstairs it would have been a tough call but the teen in me just had to have the burl I lusted after on so many Foderas. 

Edited by Mikey D
  • Like 1