Why become a member? ×

5 String Bass Similar Quality to Squire Vintage Mod?

Posted (edited)

Morning all,

I've got a stock Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass which is currently the best quality in my small selection of 3 basses. In addition to this I have a hacked about Harley Benton P Bass that was originally a short scale and is now long scale with a 24 fret neck, and a Harley Benton six string with different pick ups and electrics.

I rehearse with a cover band and frequently find the B string on the six useful to cover drop tunings, and rather pickup the six and keep patterns the same than drop tuning on my jazz. I'm now considering moving on my Squire and seeking a similar quality 5 string. This would I assume give slightly larger spaced strings.

I'm mighty confused in the £300-400 territory. We've Squire (although there appear to be a few duffs), Cort, Harley Benton Delux, Vintage, & Ibanez to mention a few. There doesn't appear to be many places with a large second hand selection in the northwest, so I think I need to familerise myself with which models are the minimums to go for from these, or other makes. ZI'd consider single coil jazz, HH, or PJ pickup setups.

Does a new Harley Benton BZ 5000 make more sense than one of the others second hand or do I just need to get out to try whenever I see something come up nearby?

I fear this is likely to result in a huge range of options, but interested to listen!

Edited by DocTrucker

Cort are excellent basses, although the big difference between them and a Squier is the resale value. Squier hold their value down to the name on the headstock that is the nearest the music instrument industry has to a household name. This does, however, make Cort an even better buy secondhand. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks. At the moment my strategy would be as siple as looking at which models are a similar price new to the Squire VM and then looking for them or better second hand to try!

Happy to hear Cort is a trusted mark though.

Edit; missed Yamaha & Warwick off original list.

Edited by DocTrucker

You also have the cheaper Musicman basses, I think they are called Stirling. Nice to hear the Squier VM 5 string Jazz is good, I'm looking to get one in a while as my first foray into 5 string basses. Ibanez is the other I'm looking at.

Squier did a Deluxe Active V a while ago, they turn up on eBay and usually sell for around £200-£250:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266788464335

Very nice basses, not your standard Fender radius either as the ebanol board is wide and flat and the neck quite shallow which is an improvement IMO. There's also a very similar Aria version with a rosewood board which is also excellent. Cort GB series are well worth a look as well, one for sale here:

I'd be upping my budget and grabbing one of the Cort GB Modern basses currently on sale at Guitar Guitar!