Why become a member? ×

Semi hollows

isteen

I am looking for a semi hollow bass. From a YouTube search I had my money ready for the cheap Harley Benton - I also hear some people complain about the noise from it, and since it’s a hollow body, it’s not easy to get in and shield the electronics.

Any suggestions to something midpricey semi hollows you have experience with?

Epiphone’s Jack Cassidy should be good, but also it bit over my budget.

Help my out guys

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yamaha BEX 4, if you can find one to fit your budget.  AndyTravis has one for sale at the moment; whether he'd ship to Denmark I don't know, but it's worth asking.

Edited by alyctes

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, isteen said:

I am looking for a semi hollow bass. From a YouTube search I had my money ready for the cheap Harley Benton - I also hear some people complain about the noise from it, and since it’s a hollow body, it’s not easy to get in and shield the electronics.

Help my out guys

Nothing better than the Jack Casady bass in its price range, and used ones do go for $500-$600.

(Nothing better but this, that is. Not the easiest bass to find, but Reverb usually has a few and they're worth every penny, especially since I bought this one for $450!)

photostudio_1710542547648.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, police squad said:

Hofner contempory basses are worth a look

Yep, I have a cheap copy of the Beatles bass. I like it, even that it's a cheap discount bass from Harley Benton 

Posted (edited)

I own and regularly gig with 2 different chowny chb1 semi acoustic short scale basses  they are excellent and good value for money.

i have also owned warwick star basses in the past with  a 32" scale and they are equally as good.

i also tried The hagstrom viking and a gibson midtown again both very nice basses, it's really down to your personal preference and budget.

i havn't personaly tried any Harley Benton basses so cant realy comment on them.

Edited by jay bass
spelling
  • Like 1

If the budget can stretch to the cost of a guild starfire II, I'd recommend it as an excellent semi hollow. The BiSonic pickups sound amazing and even with stainless flats it has a good range of sounds. This model also comes with the much needed hard case.

Andertons did a good video comparing a few including the Warwick and Jack Casady. The Jack Casady came out on top in their review, but if thinking of buying a semi hollow I'd watch that just for how the sound compares with different pickup configs.

On 03/07/2024 at 21:04, isteen said:

Help my out guys

Don’t totally discount the HB, a friend of mine, who is a particularly discerning producer with a LOT of vintage guitars, swears by his…gets some great sounds out of it with some  Tapewounds. I’ve played it, it’s quiet, so I’d suggest others issue are purely because they are cheap and prone to QA issues, not because they are all inherently noisy. 

Si

• Like 1

I picked up a Gretsch hollow body last December. It’s become my go to. I spend a lot of my practice time playing it. It does have a big body. It’s the G5123B model , a Korean made bass with TVJones pickups. Wonderful woody tone.  

IMG_9575.webp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2024 at 23:59, Sibob said:

Don’t totally discount the HB, a friend of mine, who is a particularly discerning producer with a LOT of vintage guitars, swears by his…gets some great sounds out of it with some  Tapewounds. I’ve played it, it’s quiet, so I’d suggest others issue are purely because they are cheap and prone to QA issues, not because they are all inherently noisy. 

Si

Those I know who have tried it complains about it not being quiet, but a lot of hum. Since it’s  hard to get inside to the electronic stuff I guess it would be hard to fix

17 hours ago, isteen said:

Those I know who have tried it complains about it not being quiet, but a lot of hum. Since it’s  hard to get inside to the electronic stuff I guess it would be hard to fix

All I can tell you is that my mates one is quiet 🤷‍♂️

Si

Most hollow bodies have humbucking pickups , so they are not as noisy. And the repair guys get accustomed to working on them. I’m sure they have specific tools to make things a bit easier when your only access is through the pickup routes and the f holes