Why become a member? ×

Sterling Stringray Short Scale - Electronic issues

Mike99605

Hello, 

I have a sterling short scale 1st gen model - 2020 - daphene blue. 

Unfortunately, I have some electronic issues. The 3-way toggle doesn't work for parallel and single coil settings, only series. The volume works and push volume boost. Also, the tone doesn't work. What could be the issue and what do I need to replace? Thank you!

Hard to say, it could be any number of things, but it would point to either damage to the switch, or part of the wires being off on the switch.

Best option, open the back up and take a good quality photo of the electronics

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Hard to say, it could be any number of things, but it would point to either damage to the switch, or part of the wires being off on the switch.

Best option, open the back up and take a good quality photo of the electronics

Thanks man, I did open up on a quick inspection, doesn't look like anything to horrendous, I will upload images soon. Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Just updating on this. So far the pull push vol works as standard, the tone knob works as should. The 3 way switch replaced with another, the same issue. Feels like neck single coil is working. When switching to series and parallel on the 3 way no sound. Tech said the he checked the other wires for resistance making sure coils were producing and sounds like they were. Only thing I can think of is require the pickup? 

Il get it this week and can upload images etc . Also used the wiring diagram ss4 from Sterling. 

Il try and get some images tonight but I’ve installed a new 3 way switch I’ve wired exactly like the Sterling shortscale suggested and I am get 3 x single coil sounds on the 3 way and no series or parallel. I’m stumped . The tone and vol work fine.

ive also changed the pickup to Seymour Duncan ceramic . Not sure if that makes a difference. But same amount of wires and colours

Edited by Mike99