Why become a member? ×

How is this sound being achieved?

I love the way the bass sounds in this recording. Warm and round at times, and then really crunchy and rich when the player digs in a bit. How is he achieving this? Is it just great technique and compression? Are there some custom pickups in that bass? Is it a 60s P? Effects? Something else?

• Like 1

It just sounds to me like a really good vintage P-Bass, with the tone set mid-way so there's just a bit of clank and bite but still some warmth in the overall tone. My 77 P-Bass I had sounded exactly the same. I'm also going to say he's probably using rounds but I could be wrong.

• Like 3

Yes, love that sound, my idea of perfection.

I think a P bass responds well to thumbing plus palm muting which Joe Ayoub is doing in places here.

I can get pretty close to this sound using this technique with my 90's Jap P with slightly worn in rounds.

But this is at home with the P just going through a Focusrite straight into headphones - no effects, it just sounds absolutely perfect -  however, have I ever been able to recreate this perfect clean crunch sound live on stage? - not a chance !  😥

• Like 1

Nice groove that, looking at a few write ups on Joe Ayoub he plays a 72 precision which it looks like, maybe a changed pickguard , can’t be sure but I think they may be flats with the red silks with the tone up full, great sound and great playing 

56 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

But this is at home with the P just going through a Focusrite straight into headphones - no effects, it just sounds absolutely perfect -  however, have I ever been able to recreate this perfect clean crunch sound live on stage? - not a chance !  😥

That's what tube amps are for 👍

The video comments suggest this was recorded live and, Joe has an Aguilar AG head that is at least being DI'd. It certainly sounds more DI than cabinet (which I generally prefer anyway!) I think the Original '62 pickup would sound pretty good in a P bass for this tone, or a lil scoop from a CS62. 

• Like 1