Why become a member? ×

Excellent DB playing (not jazz)

On 06/07/2024 at 20:06, itu said:

Salsa hasn't been mentioned here. Many bands use Ampeg Baby Bass.

Good suggestion!  Older Afro Cuban music has more double bass (as opposed to Baby Bass)

e.g. 

• Like 1

On 06/07/2024 at 11:52, Burns-bass said:

Seen Red Snapper a good 10 times I think and always amazing. Last time I caught Covid at the gig but I don’t hold it against them.

At the Jam Jar last September?

On 05/07/2024 at 17:45, Mykesbass said:

some Baroque music with 'Basso Continuo' and some almost improvised percussion.

I have that or something very like it:

https://ecmrecords.com/product/nuove-musiche-rolf-lislevand/

Sprang, I think, off the success of the "officium" recording of Jan Garbarek and the Hilliard ensemble.  Kind of jazz / early music fusion resting on the thoughts that some parts of early music were improvised.  There's another called "in darkness let me dwell" with the wonderful Barry Guy on bass ( not a man to do a walking bass line!). 

"Corruscating" by John Surman in a similar sort of vein, featuring classical  string players who also do jazz, with Chris Lawrence on bass.

Back in the land of straight jazz; I thought it was only old fogies like me, playing 50s mainstream ( "modern" ) jazz who still did walking bass lines. You don't hear Dan Berglund, Yuri Goloubev or Liran Donan doing it much.  Personally, I love playing a good swinging walking bass through a load of changes ...old fart me tho😁

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NickA said:

Sprang, I think, off the success of the "officium" recording of Jan Garbarek and the Hilliard ensemble.  Kind of jazz / early music fusion resting on the thoughts that some parts of early music were improvised.  There's another called "in darkness let me dwell" with the wonderful Barry Guy on bass ( not a man to do a walking bass line!). 

"Corruscating" by John Surman in a similar sort of vein, featuring classical  string players who also do jazz, with Chris Lawrence on bass.

Back in the land of straight jazz; I thought it was only old fogies like me, playing 50s mainstream ( "modern" ) jazz who still did walking bass lines. You don't hear Dan Berglund, Yuri Goloubev or Liran Donan doing it much.  Personally, I love playing a good swinging walking bass through a load of changes ...old fart me tho😁

Thank you. I'll check this out tomorrow.

11 hours ago, NickA said:

You'd be surprised. In Bristol there's a lot of this sort of jazz stuff. I'm quite partial to a few beers and a listen, too. But I"m more interested in a melodic bass line than busking my way through the changes. Working through that often feels like trying to complete a complex puzzle with no idea of the image you're attempting to complete. Perhaps I should have gone to music school!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

In Bristol there's a lot of this sort of jazz stuff.

In the east midlands too.  Every town has a jazz jam session now with some people going to all of them.  It's the new blues!  Despite helping to organise a couple of them, I've gone from being in demand to being in a queue.  But we're mostly rank amateurs.

I think "proper" jazz musos have mostly moved on to bass playing that's contrapuntal without following the restrictions of walking.

6 hours ago, NickA said:

In the east midlands too.  Every town has a jazz jam session now with some people going to all of them.  It's the new blues!  Despite helping to organise a couple of them, I've gone from being in demand to being in a queue.  But we're mostly rank amateurs.

I think "proper" jazz musos have mostly moved on to bass playing that's contrapuntal without following the restrictions of walking.

I think it’s fantastic. Jazz has been revitalised. There is some incredible jazz musicianship on show in Bristol and you can be wowed for free.

One of the reasons I started playing DB was seeing Greg Cordez at a free venue called the Canteen.

Have added his sound loud thing here:

https://gregcordez.bandcamp.com/album/magnolia

I’ll never get near the tone or the confidence of that, but who cares. The journey is the fun bit.

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Daniel Kimbro?

Great DB player probably best known for playing in the Gerry Douglas band or the Transatlantic sessions. 

Here with Martin Harley:

Edited by tegs07