Why become a member? ×

Plugging preamp into multiple power amps

I got some ancient gear, and now I'd like to plug it in without blowing anything up.

Gear: 2x Peavey 3620 cabs, 2x Peavey CS800 power amps.

I'm looking for a preamp to go with that, currently considering a tech21 sansamp rbi on a local site.

I'll need to plug the preamp into 2 channels of the power amps, and I'm not sure how to do that?

Simplest solution would be a Y cable, is that a good idea? Somehow it seems low-tech...

Thanks for any help.

Can you not run both cabs off 1 power amp?  It is a stereo 400w into 4 ohm amp IIRC... those cabs should match that well.

Aside from that is running both cabs necessary?  It seems to be a LOT of cabs unless you are playing stadiums!  LOL

5 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Can you not run both cabs off 1 power amp?  It is a stereo 400w into 4 ohm amp IIRC... those cabs should match that well.

Aside from that is running both cabs necessary?  It seems to be a LOT of cabs unless you are playing stadiums!  LOL

Might work to run both off 1 amp. Especially since the power amp can be bridged to provide 800w into one out. (I'll double-check everything, but first I just wanted to be sure I'm not completely insane.

And no, you're right, I don't need cabs this big, let alone 2 of them. No-one wants rigs this big anymore, so you can have them practically free if you can get them before they get thrown out.

Thanks! 🙂

Posted (edited)

Wow, 2x18s and 2x10s?  A thing of wonder - I'd have gigged this back in the '80s (and used to wander around with massive 18" reflex bins).  For anybody interested in this kind of vintage esoterica, there's a review here: https://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/peavey-max-bass-amp-and-3620-cab/5135

To the OP, enjoy this - what a fabulous, monster rig - one of these is nuts by contemporary standard, two is off-the-scale

On topic, I'd agree that a Y-cable should work fine (or find a preamp with two outputs, for example, a Warwick Hellborg)

Edited by three
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try an alembic F-1X, they have three outputs, low, high and full range plus a variable crossover so you can bi-amp on frequency  sending the low to one poweramp and cab and the high to another power amp and cab. Then you have still got the full range that you can send to another rig or guitar amp to get some dirt etc.

http://www.alembic.com/support/F-1Xoperatingguide.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/07/2024 at 22:09, mlauritsen said:

Might work to run both off 1 amp. Especially since the power amp can be bridged to provide 800w into one out. (I'll double-check everything, but first I just wanted to be sure I'm not completely insane.

And no, you're right, I don't need cabs this big, let alone 2 of them. No-one wants rigs this big anymore, so you can have them practically free if you can get them before they get thrown out.

Thanks! 🙂

Careful with the impedance, especially if they're bridged. 

Posted (edited)

Is there no set of power amp line out / line in on the back of the amps to daisy them? Shirley?

The way to deploy two of those cabs is stacked on their sides so the 10" speakers make a 4x10 in a vertical column. It won't take many watts to be LAF.

Edited by Downunderwonder

On 06/07/2024 at 13:01, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

You might want to consider retiring those cabs. A Barefaced 212 has the same output capability as that of a 3620.

But without the same stage presence and bodybuilding potential 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 06/07/2024 at 14:01, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

You might want to consider retiring those cabs. A Barefaced 212 has the same output capability as that of a 3620.

Sure, but does it weigh 100+kgs? 😉