Why become a member? ×

NCD (New Cable Day)

Probably not that exciting but after using a Boss WL20 for a while I used a cable again the other day (A Fender tweed one) and remembered how annoying they are - not very flexible and they always want to coil in the wrong direction.

I made a cheeky offer on two of these 20ft Gibson cables on eBay and got them (two for £50, they're £39 each normally). I have to say, I'm really pleased. They came recommended by a friend because they're quite thin and don't have the long rubber boot that you get on many standard cables. The jacks are by Switchcraft, and they have a lifetime warranty. Anyway they feel great, roll up small and definitely get in the way a lot less. Sound wise, I'm comparing to a Vovox cable I was given (that retails for £100) and there's barely any difference, in fact I think the Gibson is a tad brighter - maybe a tiny bit nosier but then it's twice as long as the vovox.

And the pack is in BC colours, too! I actually think the orange is nearly the same 🤩

l59epdiryze4k3mbzfh3.jpg

97d3f71022w2P0hfFEKgAk0elSSRWa8JiJCJucH3.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

That's a lot of money for a cable with non-serviceable plugs, even if they are Switchcraft! O.o 

The lifetime warranty is nice, so I guess it isn't a problem, but I would much prefer a cable with plugs I can (re)solder myself.

I've been a very happy Spectraflex user for many years now, and at home I use a few Sommer cables with silent jacks (the Thomann site doesn't mention it, but that gold ring around the straight jack is very much a switch) that were very affordable but high quality.

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

Actually I found the WL20 from Boss took some of the clarity away compared to a good quality cable 

The Shure GLXD16+ didn’t have any change to the sound 

I’m a cable hater as I’m always standing on them twisting them etc etc when playing 

I have tripped over my leads several times in the years of gigging 

• Like 1

Just now, BassAdder60 said:

Actually I found the WL20 from Boss took some of the clarity away compared to a good quality cable 

I’m a cable hater as I’m always standing on them twisting them etc etc when playing 

Yes, when doing some testing with this new cable and a few others, including the WL20, there is a clear difference in sound using the Boss. Not necessarily a bad one, but the midrange is more pronounced, and the top end is curtailed somewhat. I don't know if that's whether the wireless signal is bandwidth compromised or if it's because of the 'cable simulation' which Boss built in (bearing in mind I find most default 'simulations' by Boss to be too heavy handed) I don't know. I do love the convenience of the WL20 though and hate tripping on cables. I have noticed a few minor hiccups when using the WL20 though, normally it's fine but then one day it will have spasms of interference, so I don't know if I can trust it for anything serious yet.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2024 at 10:27, LeftyJ said:

That's a lot of money for a cable with non-serviceable plugs, even if they are Switchcraft! O.o 

I didn't think two 20ft ones for £50 was too bad, and I haven't ever soldered a cable in my life, so fingers crossed. 

Having had issues with previous cheapo Fender leads, I forked out for their deluxe lead. It's pretty robust and I like the way it's quite stiff and will only coil one way. The 'tweed look' outer sleeve is pretty ragged, after a couple of years use, but it still does the job.

13 minutes ago, gjones said:

Having had issues with previous cheapo Fender leads, I forked out for their deluxe lead. It's pretty robust and I like the way it's quite stiff and will only coil one way. The 'tweed look' outer sleeve is pretty ragged, after a couple of years use, but it still does the job.

I have a few of those Fender tweed black / white leads that I don’t use anymore.. !! 

All my leads were either made myself back in 90s using high quality cable and connectors, or bought from OBBM on here.

I wouldn't ever contemplate buying one with moulded plugs not matter how good the brand was supposed to be. IME when the lead fails (and it will unless it's for home use only) and you decide to remove the dodgy section and solder on a decent Neutrik connector you'll discover that the cable itself is very poorly made and end up binning the whole thing.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2024 at 13:40, BassAdder60 said:

They do a full range version as well. The standard one is supposed to have some high end missing, to simulate a cable. The WL20L is full range and doesn't have the cable simulator effect.

• Like 1