Why become a member? ×

Origin Bassrig Super Vintage vs 64 Black Panel.

danpb

A question for those who’ve owned or atleast spent some time with both. 

I’ve owned both at separate times so never A/B in my own rig’s context, sold both but I  have a need for one again. I remember enjoying them both.

which do you prefer and why? I find they both do a really nice warm tubey tone, vintage or modern, both take dirt pedals well and sound great DI or into a clean amp.

i can’t decide which I want to get this time. 

Mostly used with a 70s P bass, pick and rounds, nearly always some Drive involved, sometimes subtle and sometimes down right filthy.

Does sounds like the Super Vintage would be the one for you based on your description. 

I’ve had the Black Panel for 2 years or so. I love it but it’s got its drawbacks. The non-defeatable cab sim on the DI is problematic because I like the tone straight out the 1/4” a lot more. Unfortunately that creates noise in the signal which makes it challenging for recording, and in certain live situations it’s also been a problem. 

On the plus side, the thing just sounds phenomenal. The tube-like quality of it as you’ve mentioned takes some beating, it sounds amazing just before breakup at gain stage. I’ve also got the Jad Freer Capo on my board which I’d probably describe as more versatile an EQ, but it does not have the same level of quality to the tube emulation. The Fender tone stack in the Black Panel is fairly limited in range but it’s totally unique for the tone I want which is pretty vintage. I’m also a P-Bass player but use flatwounds. Match made in heaven tonally for me. 

Sadly because I don’t use it as my main DI and just as a preamp, the noise from the 1/4” has rendered it a bit obsolete as of late. 

I’ve not spent any considerable time with the Super Vintage, but I’d say the cab sim on the DI feels more usable given it’s meant to emulate the 8x10. Would be interested to own one at some stage. 

• Like 1

I also agree that the Ampeg flavour will suit your sound best, based on your description.

I have both and use different basses with each, and the Super Vintage is the one I use the most with my P-Bass and drive pedals.

The Black Face sounds great too, I love it equally, but you cannot go wrong with that Ampeg tone and the 8x10 cab emulation if you like drive.