Why become a member? ×

Can I Extend a Combo into a Powered PA Speaker?

Tokalo

If I gig, it’s normally in pubs with a loud drummer and very loud guitarist.

I’ve been offered a TC Electronic BG 250w 1x15 combo (“light and super powerful”).
I also have a 600w Behringer 112 powered PA speaker.

While the combo seems quite loud, I can imagine that in some venues I might need more “breadth” as opposed to straightforward “volume” in order to have sufficient impact vs drums/guitar.

So. 

Can I take a DI feed from the combo into the PA speaker and therefore have a 115 and 112 running side by side?
e.g.  if I feel the combo is a bit lost in the room, I can add the PA speaker to the combo to widen the range and move more air overall?

(And will the DI out use the preamp from the bass amp, so the PA speaker is voiced more for a bass?)

If all you want is more volume then that will defo work; how it will sound is a case of suck and see.  However, if you are being offered it free or cheap it is worth trying.  Different manufacturers label various outs in different ways but line out/pre out/Di are all worth trying to see what works best.  

• Thanks 1

I don't think the 12" B'ringer PA cab will do much for you.

A decent powered sub would be much more viable. Send the fx loop out to the sub and the highs can come back from the sub via the fx return. If the sub is any good it will transform you.

On 08/07/2024 at 08:50, Downunderwonder said:

I don't think the 12" B'ringer PA cab will do much for you.

A decent powered sub would be much more viable. Send the fx loop out to the sub and the highs can come back from the sub via the fx return. If the sub is any good it will transform you.

Even if I wanted a subwoofer on stage, with all the drawbacks that would bring, there's just not much bass guitar in the subwoofer range. 

2 hours ago, Jack said:

Even if I wanted a subwoofer on stage, with all the drawbacks that would bring, there's just not much bass guitar in the subwoofer range. 

There's not much tone but a lot of power wrapped up in the lowest octave. Taking everything below 80Hz from the combo will let it play a lot louder. You don't need to crank the sub.

If you employed a crossover you could have the combo thinned right out and the sub would fill it out.

A three way crossover unit would let you set the mid/ low point way low. Send the 'mid' as your sub feed and it could do your 60 to 120hz for you.

12 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

There's not much tone but a lot of power wrapped up in the lowest octave. Taking everything below 80Hz from the combo will let it play a lot louder. You don't need to crank the sub.

If you employed a crossover you could have the combo thinned right out and the sub would fill it out.

A three way crossover unit would let you set the mid/ low point way low. Send the 'mid' as your sub feed and it could do your 60 to 120hz for you.

Hey man whatever works for you. I don't have an amp on stage, but our PA subs cross over at 120Hz and Id say 95% of the noise my bass makes is coming mainly from the tops. Maybe it'd be different if I was playing flats with my thumb in a reggae band.