Why become a member? ×

Songs You Go Back To

allighatt0r

I've been playing about 5 years now, and one of the major bass songs in my life has got to be RHCP - Higher Groud (among others). Well, when i first learnt to slap, i gave Higher Ground a go, and it was about as awkward, rigid and hopeless as a 17 year old could manage!

Anyway, Last night i gave it another go, and while it wasn't perfect, it was pretty damn good! (by my standards).

So, anyone had similar experiences with songs they've left for years and come back to?

Not years but months - Rancid, "Time Bomb". The last time I tried to play it I only had 3 band rehearsals to get it right and I just couldn't - had to simplify it down so much. But recently I went back to it and even though I wasn't quite up to speed, I found I was able to bluster through it OK. With additional practice I think I could nail it.

[quote name='neepheid' post='494895' date='May 22 2009, 09:23 AM']Not years but months - Rancid, "Time Bomb". The last time I tried to play it I only had 3 band rehearsals to get it right and I just couldn't - had to simplify it down so much. But recently I went back to it and even though I wasn't quite up to speed, I found I was able to bluster through it OK. With additional practice I think I could nail it.[/quote]

I've been trying to play "Hit me with your rhythm stick" for eight years!! I still can't get anywhere near the speed... I'll let you know :)

Edited by thepurpleblob

Last month, I posted a transcription of the first saxophone solo I ever wrote down (it is under the Theory and Technique forum), Gerry Mulligan's baritone solo on 'Song For Strayhorn'. The amazing thing was that I did (most) of it from memory (there was one four bar passage I made a complete dog's breakfast out of and had to revisit) - I originally learned that solo before I bought my Wal in 1986.

Nowadays, I can't remember my name unless someone shouts it at me.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='495028' date='May 22 2009, 11:57 AM']Nowadays, I can't remember my name unless someone shouts it at me.[/quote]

I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday but I could play you songs that I wrote when I was in my teens that I haven't played since. And probably remember most of the words.

The only bass part by another bassist that I feel I could guarantee I'll never forget how to play is Good Times.