Why become a member? ×

Fret wraps don't Rock, they Suck!

Seen fret wraps around, so got me one to cut some overtones, although I do palm mute, I wanted to see what fret wraps are all about.

I play motown and soul, but mostly rock and blues these days. I also play mostly with a pick for a more aggressive tone, so thought a fret wrap would help.

Boy, was I wrong. It seems logical now I've tried a fret wrap, but all I found was playing notes just sound the same, loud, pronounced and twangy, as the wrap is above the notes being played. However, playing open notes and they sound flat and dead. So the sound goes from bright and twangy to dead on open strings. Totally unusable. I tried various pressure the wrap has on the strings, but just sounds plain bad. Really bad!

Am I doing something wrong? I did check out some YouTube clips and noticed the wraps were used mostly for tapping, but for what I'm playing at the moment they certainly don't Rock!! Definitely no good for rock. 🤬

40 minutes ago, JJMotown said:

playing open notes and they sound flat and dead. So the sound goes from bright and twangy to dead on open strings. Totally unusable. I tried various pressure the wrap has on the strings, but just sounds plain bad

Sounds like you may have had it too tight, did you try it around the nut, I use them all the time to kill the overtones and stop the open strings ringing out, it suits what I’m playing sometimes 

• Like 2

Yes, tried various pressures. If it's too loose then the middle two strings don't get enough pressure, not compared to the E and G strings.

My main issue is that all open notes sound dead, and every fretted note rings bright as they are played below the fret wrap which I got sitting on the 1st fret.

Yeah, they only work on open strings, I thought it was for the lads who like to do the tappa-tappa stuff on youtube and haven't got their muting technique in good enough shape?

I always viewed fretwraps as a gimmick when i first started noticing them, an excuse for poor technique?

Over the years though, I’ve come to find them useful, especially on multi-string basses, for keeping the ‘rumble’ from those low strings at bay…

I now use them when I play my 5 string basses, especially my Stingray 5, to tame the B string from rattling when slapping.
Here’s a pic of me at a recent festival in Germany, letting loose on “Too shy” by Kajagoogoo..

IMG_1109.jpeg

• Like 2

Piece of old foam under the strings right up against the bridge works for me, that might suit you better @JJMotown? Sometimes if I’m recording I’ll stuff a bit of foam behind the nut as well, as my cheap Precision is a bit of a lively bass, even with 10 year old La Bella flats on it. Overtones galore on that thing.

Never ever thought about using a fret wrap though, I must admit.

But then, I am a bit of an old duffer 😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

A tool for those with poor technique. 

That's me!

Unfortunately, the pain from my arthritic hands doesn't help my poor technique. 🙁

6 minutes ago, gjones said:

That's Dave. He works down the local chip shop. One eye, got a limp, smells of vinegar. You must know Dave?

Saw him yesterday but he smelled of Bovril and he was wearing a sock on his elbow. Friendly as ever, though.