Why become a member? ×

String winders - recommendations??

I've bought two in the past - both were a complete waste of time - both made of brittle plastic that broke first time I used them.

Since then I've gone without but having had to restring a couple of basses recently I may have changed my mind. 

I visited my local luthier today and he recommended the Dunlop one - it looked more substantial than those I'd had.

D'Addario donated a few with snippers when they supported the Herts Bash - no idea what happened to them though..

Recommendations??

I’d recommend the Dunlop one without any hesitation - had mine over 6 years according to Amazon and it’s the best I’ve found. Had a fair few over the years and whilst I’ve never broken one, I’ve binned plenty for being useless.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I’ve had the D’Addario winder / snipper combo for years and it still works spot on. 
Great thing which makes string changes a doddle. 

Edited by casapete
  • Thanks 1

I have use an electric drill in the past.

I made a tool to fit my tuning keys and would just lock it in the chuck.

Low speed, relatively high torque and you're up to tension very fast.

However the next bit of string stretching and re-tensioning I'd go by hand.

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

If you only have 2 or 3 windings around the post, how difficult is it to use your fingers?

No more difficult than operating a string winder, I guess. String winder's quicker though. But you knew that, you wee stirrer ;)

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Did use one with guitars ( cheap plastic thing ) but bass never just by hand and it works fine.

I think it teaches you better re-stringing if you take your time and do it by hand while watching the wraps on the tuning peg etc 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

If you only have 2 or 3 windings around the post, how difficult is it to use your fingers?

Using your fingers isn't massively difficult to begin with, but everything's relative and in my experience it is significantly easier using a tool designed for the job. It's easier still if it's a good example of that tool, so when the best example I've discovered only costs a fiver I can't see any downsides to using it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Using your fingers isn't massively difficult to begin with, but everything's relative and in my experience it is significantly easier using a tool designed for the job. It's easier still if it's a good example of that tool, so when the best example I've discovered only costs a fiver I can't see any downsides to using it.

I agree - also from my experience I can make a neater job of the windings using my string winder than

I can just doing it without. Got mine years ago after seeing one being used in a music shop ( remember

those? ). Also good with bass restrings but even more useful with guitars ( again IME).

With slotted tuners I can do my bass in probably 5 mins using the winder, so a no brainer for me. 
( Which reminds me, better go and put some new strings on today, got a big gig at the weekend.)

• Like 1

I use one by Harley Benton with a detachable bit that fits in a power drill. I pair mine with a small Bosch IXO 5 electric screwdriver which works great! It turns fairly slow, it's nowhere near power drill territory so it works precise enough for roughly tuning up to where I need to be and doing the last stretch by hand: 

Harley Benton Speedwinder – Thomann

• Thanks 1

On 08/07/2024 at 18:54, neepheid said:

I use a Planet Waves one which is also a pair of string snips.  Had it for years, still works.

I have one of these as well and it's very handy, and seems pretty robust as these things go

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I ordered the Dunlop deluxe - doesn't fit on bass tuners - emailed the supplier to let them know I'll be returning it and asked for one that is bass suitable. 

Did you end up with https://www.jimdunlop.com/dunlop-deluxe-guitar-stringwinder/ instead of https://www.jimdunlop.com/dunlop-deluxe-bass-stringwinder/?

It's the bass specific one I have, and I'm yet to find anything it doesn't work with.

Edited by Ed_S
Swap pics for actual links - probably more useful
  • Thanks 1

I bought the Jim Dunlop Roadpro Bass String Winder from Amazon just over 5 years ago and have had no problems with it. (It cost 29p more then than it does now!) Having used fingers and then a string winder, I definitely prefer the winder.

• Like 1