Why become a member? ×

Two Factor Authentication

ped

Hmm. Autofilled password from firefox wouldn't work but cut and pasted did.

Good grief, hard to do on a smartphone, I gad to set up a complex system of mirrors and lenses to scan the qr code.

OK I did it manually but every time you switch windows I have to unlock authenticator again.

These things are the bane of my life, why can't a website be set up to ask a programme for my thumbprint and if OK let me get on with life.

Using my business bank account on my phone today I had to  'unlock' six times to make two payments and confirm I really wanted to do what I was doing about 18 times. Actually it may have been more than that...

<fades into the distance grumbling louder than @Frank Blank's borborygmus...>

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hmm. Autofilled password from firefox wouldn't work but cut and pasted did.

Good grief, hard to do on a smartphone, I gad to set up a complex system of mirrors and lenses to scan the qr code.

OK I did it manually but every time you switch windows I have to unlock authenticator again.

These things are the bane of my life, why can't a website be set up to ask a programme for my thumbprint and if OK let me get on with life.

Using my business bank account on my phone today I had to  'unlock' six times to make two payments and confirm I really wanted to do what I was doing about 18 times. Actually it may have been more than that...

<fades into the distance grumbling louder than @Frank Blank's borborygmus...>

Make sure you’re not blocking cookies from BC otherwise it might forget you in between sessions. You should only have to do it when logging in from a new device or signing in if you’ve signed out previously. 

Depending on the system your using then you can indeed use Face ID to fill out 2FA. 

• Sad 1

I think these things are a bit of a pain but a necessary step these days. I envisage systems getting much smoother and integrated. What really boils my piss is having to create an account if you want to buy one single thing from an online retailer, which often involves refining a code by text then doing the same rigmarole with your payment card. Using Apple Pay - takes two seconds. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ped said:

You should only have to do it when logging in from a new device or signing in if you’ve signed out previously. 

Ah. The killer.

I've just discovered that. I access BC on both my PC and phone and logging in on one niw logs me out on the other.

I now have the choice of disabling it or visiting BC a lot less often.

14 hours ago, ped said:

Depending on the system your using then you can indeed use Face ID to fill out 2FA. 

I prefer fingerprint as more reliable.  It still requires manual entry of the pin from authenticator.

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Ah. The killer.

I've just discovered that. I access BC on both my PC and phone and logging in on one niw logs me out on the other.

It shouldn't log you out - I'm logged in on three devices with no issue. Must be something in your settings (browser)

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

I prefer fingerprint as more reliable.  It still requires manual entry of the pin from authenticator.

On MacOS or iOS you can use fingerprint, no manual entry of anything

27 minutes ago, ped said:

It shouldn't log you out - I'm logged in on three devices with no issue. Must be something in your settings (browser)

It's possibly a firefox issue. I don't clear settings on exit.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

26 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Thats weird, I am logged into BC on my PC (here), my mac and my iPad, and I don't have to log into any of them unless I go to the admin panel, so you shoulldn't have that issue.

I've had a whole series of unexpected issues... I disabled it, then re-enabled it using my PC instead of my phone, and it seems to work, except when first returned to my PC it asked me to set up authenticator again... but my phone said this would delete the old version. A refresh solved this.

One glitch, Autheticator calls the account 'GMAIL' by default, can the setup be altered to call it BASSCHAT automatically as this will lead to confusion if people don't change the name and a few months down the line don't know that using 'GMAIL' in Authenticator to get back in.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

One glitch, Autheticator calls the account 'GMAIL' by default, can the setup be altered to call it BASSCHAT automatically as this will lead to confusion if people don't change the name and a few months down the line don't know that using 'GMAIL' in Authenticator to get back in.

You can change the name in MS Authenticator, it just said "Account", so I changed it to "BC". Google probably does the same, look for a pencil icon somewhere where nobody sensible would put it...

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Noooooooo!!!!!

We must resolve this issue. There are disk manufacturers across the world whose 2025 forecasts are based on the exponential growth of the DOI thread!

• Haha 1

DAMNATION! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I closed firefox on my PC. When I opened it again, I'm still logged into all my websites - except I have to log in and verify for Basschat.

Please, someone tell me that I'm not the only person with this issue? My settings are completely vanilla except for Adblock.

Does it work for other sites that use 2FA?

I've had a mooch round the Mozilla support  sites, and it may be that you need to disable advanced protection for BC, as its possible that the cookie confirming the authentication is not permitted.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/total-cookie-protection-and-website-breakage-faq#w_what-kind-of-breakages-does-total-cookie-protection-cause

I can install FF and test,  but probably not this weekend. 

25 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Does it work for other sites that use 2FA?

I've had a mooch round the Mozilla support  sites, and it may be that you need to disable advanced protection for BC, as its possible that the cookie confirming the authentication is not permitted.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/total-cookie-protection-and-website-breakage-faq#w_what-kind-of-breakages-does-total-cookie-protection-cause

I can install FF and test,  but probably not this weekend. 

I don't have enhanced tracking protection enabled.

34 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I don't have enhanced tracking protection enabled.

I suggest you check this setting from the article:

• paste  about:config in the address bar and accept the warning
  • search for network.cookie.cookieBehavior : if you see a value of 5 next to it, that's a possible cause. You can hit Edit (the "pen") and change it to 4 as a test.

Edited by bnt

2 hours ago, bnt said:

I suggest you check this setting from the article:

• paste  about:config in the address bar and accept the warning
  • search for network.cookie.cookieBehavior : if you see a value of 5 next to it, that's a possible cause. You can hit Edit (the "pen") and change it to 4 as a test.

I will try that when I get back to my pc.

Peesumably related, my bank requires me to authenticate with their app every time I log in although they claim you only have to do it once per device.

They said it was a firefox thing... iirc