Why become a member? ×

Repairing Microphones

I have an SM58 which has become internally unatached. The wires going from the mic head have lost their moorings and the male XLR at the bottom has disappeared.

I have an AKG D112 which is not working.

Can anyone suggest someone who would actually mend these or am I just shouting into the void and spending money which could be better spent elsewhere?

TIA

@Owen 

I think I  repaired a 58 a couple of years ago, I honestly can't remember what the fault was ( an age thing!). I've also repaired 4 RedV dynamic drum mics where the wire to the capsules were fractured. I'm more than happy to have a look for you if you're at all local to Oxfordshire (Didcot)

Cheers 

Jules

I've had a couple of Shure microphones apart in order to repair broken wires and if you can solder it should be pretty straight forward. Based on my experience you might want to replace the internal wires between the capsule and the connector with something a bit more substantial. If the XLR has disappeared into the casing the grub screw that holds in place might be missing. Shure sell spare parts if you need to get a replacement.

Edited by BigRedX