Why become a member? ×

Logic Pro

PaulThePlug

You can still get the same result with a more modern version of Mac OSX if you wipe it from the recovery partition and do a brand new install. Then quit when you get to the "Welcome" screen. 

This would give the new user exactly the same experience as if they had bought a brand new Mac from Apple. I've recently done this with two relatively new Macs so I know it works.

@BigRedX 

It doesn't work on an old Macbook Pro 2013. It will on a new one, but all that method will do, will get you back to a version of OS X that's as old as Noah and the Ark, reliable but ancient. I think it was Snow Leopard or similar.

You cannot get to whatever the latest version that is supported on an eleven year old laptop without going through a number of OS X upgrades. You cannot do it from the recovery partition. Apple has made it more difficult to do this, but it's not impossible. I did a similar chain of work when I donated an old Macbook Air to a gent here, so I knew more or less what to do. I had forgotten some of the details but thats just my old age.

At the end of the day, I was trying to make it easy for Paul and his son.  It's now done, Paul has the laptop, he can do with it whatever he sees fit.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@rwillett I don't know what you are doing wrong but I do this all the time when I am selling off old Macs after upgrading.

I've recently done a wipe and re-install on a 2012 MacBookPro that was exhibiting some weird behaviour and I didn't want to go up to the latest version of Mac OSX that it would support because I want to keep an older version of Logic on it. I simply booted from a USB stick that had the installer for the version of Mac OSX that I wanted, wiped the SSD and performed a fresh install of OSX. If I had been selling this Mac on I would have quit the process when I reached the Welcome screen. Since I was keeping it I went through the usual user set up as if it was a brand new Mac.