Why become a member? ×

Vintage Matsu Jazz Bass

NikNik

I've got one of these, in bits. Mine's identical apart from the tuners (which I think have been swapped on this) and colour of the pickup bobbins.

erosj10.thumb.jpg.d6e80932208b9b7ecc6c0a499b1bfc98.jpg

Didn't pay much for mine which is just as well, as it turned out to have a warped neck, so it got sidelined among Things I Can't Be Arsed Dealing With, where it's remained for a number of years.

The body's solid mahogany, but a few mm thinner than a proper J, so it's fairly light. Pickups designed to be hidden under ashtrays, like a lot of early J copies, and would be hard to replace without routing.

No s/n on mine but I think these are probably '72/3 or so. The seller's assuming '76 from the number on his, but Mats serials from this era are random & can't be used to date them.

If it plays well & the electronics work, £120 for the FB one's probably an OK deal for an old Mats Jazz. Needs knobs & a pot but that's not a deal breaker on something like this.

And if anyone wants to make an offer for my pile of bits - I am but a PM away... ;)

• Like 2

Dug mine out - forgot I'd already tidied it up & nailed it back together. Neck doesn't look as bad as I remember, but no strings, so how/if it plays is anyone's guess!

erosj13.thumb.jpg.754c946a52737e8d13c96d70f6fd71f5.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2024 at 17:25, Bassassin said:

Dug mine out - forgot I'd already tidied it up & nailed it back together. Neck doesn't look as bad as I remember, but no strings, so how/if it plays is anyone's guess!

erosj13.thumb.jpg.754c946a52737e8d13c96d70f6fd71f5.jpg

Is that a medium scale?

4 hours ago, NikNik said:

Is that a medium scale?

Standard 34". Which is a pity, as I'd be more motivated to do something with it if it wasn't - despite having about a million basses, none of them are short or medium scale!