Why become a member? ×

NBD - AC Guitars Salace SC E Type 4 String

eude

Well I've gone and done it again, another ACG!

It's no secret I'm a huge fan of @skelf's work, and I'm happy to call him a friend, so I guess it's no surprise that when I fancied another bass, it would of course be an ACG.

I haven't had a 4 string for a while, and I've never had a super fancy one, so here we go!

PXL_20240709_091945620.thumb.jpg.56a08b4e8d638f7801ae1bcb03234761.jpg

This is a Salace SC E Type 4 string.

It's actually a downsized version of the original design, by about 10% I think.

The scale is 31.5", which has become my go to scale length these days, every bass I own is the same.

It has a Tasmanian Burl Blackwood top, with a Wenge accent on a White Limba body.

Set in, asymmetrical Wenge neck, with an Ebony Fingerboard, super slim 36mm nut width and 24 frets.

SB single coil pickup upfront, and a BZ1 hybrid humbucker at the bridge, with a 4-way rotary switch for front ceramic coil, both coils in series, both in parallel and finally the rear alnico coil.

East Uni-pre with active/passive switching.

Hipshot a-type bridge, 18mm spacing and Gotoh Resolite Tuners.

I know single cut basses are a bit marmite for some, and single cut 4 strings are quote a rare beast, but I'm absolutely over the moon with it.

It has such a massive range of available sounds, it's incredibly comfortable to play too.

As usual, working with @skelf was a dream, amazing communication throughout and the bass arrived well within the estimated 12 month build time.

Here's a cheeky unboxing video >>

And finally, a few more pics...

PXL_20240709_085809056.thumb.jpg.d7680d45b8899a3069a12a1ec3a37bf3.jpg

PXL_20240709_085814490.thumb.jpg.233253de210c6670e28258f617f74c58.jpg

PXL_20240709_085836040.thumb.jpg.b42e671cae8a01f07c227252d3141ccc.jpg

PXL_20240709_085844938.thumb.jpg.56d5cd52bb0f5180e1e86c41ef1a05e2.jpg

PXL_20240709_085818696.thumb.jpg.34ac45620180b3a484d0e88200fa4e87.jpg

PXL_20240709_085840171.thumb.jpg.d76087177bfc1f87b01f65c318291aa1.jpg

Cheers,

Eude

• Like 21

37 minutes ago, jonnybass said:

Absolute stunner Eude.  How would you describe the sound of the BZ1 pickup?

Jonny  

Thanks man!

On it's own, the BZ1 in Series or Parallel it's very much like the RFB, think MM style, humbucker that AC Guitars do. Very pokey, extremely thick in series, a little more nasally and bright in parallel. In this bass it's a little close to the bridge than on a MusicMan bass, but adding a hair of lower mids and a touch of bass brings it very much into that are tone wise.

The BZ1 also comes into it's own, in combination with the single coil in the neck. Setting the pan 50/50, moving the MZ1 to the front coil you get a kinda old school Jazz Bass vibe, then dialling it to the rear coil and you get a more scooped modern sounding Jazz Bass.

Hope that helps!

Eude

17 minutes ago, jonnybass said:

you dont help my GAS for ordering a new ACG....

Ha ha, I have no intention of helping with your GAS. Now I just need to speak to Alan about commission ;) 

• Haha 2

Looks great! I absolutely love my ACG, best bass I've ever played. Discovering Alan's work has been a major benefit of looking on this forum, I bought mine after reading so many good things about them.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, JoeEvans said:

Looks great! I absolutely love my ACG, best bass I've ever played. Discovering Alan's work has been a major benefit of looking on this forum, I bought mine after reading so many good things about them.

That's really great to hear dude, and thank you 😎

• Like 1

Lordy, that's a peach Mr Beck! Is this the ultimate refinement of years of clever experimentaton on your part?

I know there are some people with quite firm headstock opinions but for me the ACG angled is the best looking one in the business.

I actually pulled out your old ACG SS on Sunday after a couple of months in the case and fell in love all over again. With the Ti flats that PB pickup gives some really lovely tones even without the need for preamp. 

I'm hoping my own ACG NBD is only about 6 weeks away!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Grooverjr said:

Lordy, that's a peach Mr Beck! Is this the ultimate refinement of years of clever experimentaton on your part?

I know there are some people with quite firm headstock opinions but for me the ACG angled is the best looking one in the business.

I actually pulled out your old ACG SS on Sunday after a couple of months in the case and fell in love all over again. With the Ti flats that PB pickup gives some really lovely tones even without the need for preamp. 

I'm hoping my own ACG NBD is only about 6 weeks away!

Hey mate, there has certainly been a lot of thought and experience gone into this bass for sure! It's the ultimate 4 string for me 😎

I agree with you on th headstock too, I think it's th perfect balance of form and function.

Great to hear the TKO Short Scale is still serving you well. It's an incredible bass, I'm just more of a modern tone guy.

What's the specs on your coming bass? If I've asked before, I've forgotten, sorry 😁

Or maybe Alan will send me a WIP picture and I won't be able to resist...

On 11/07/2024 at 12:34, Grooverjr said:

I'll keep the details for the big reveal on here 😀

IMG_2224.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grooverjr said:

Or maybe Alan will send me a WIP picture and I won't be able to resist...

IMG_2224.jpg

Man alive! That is stunning!

• Like 1

Nice Yin Yang lines going there.  You should organise a big ACG appreciation society meeting to try and achieve some Escher-style regular division of a plane. 

Edited by Grooverjr
pushed enter too early the first time because I am an idiot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grooverjr said:

Nice Yin Yang lines going there.  You should organise a big ACG appreciation society meeting to try and achieve some Escher-style regular division of a plane. 

You might be on to something dude!

• 3 weeks later...