Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot RA300 power amp. Oldie but goodie (I hope)?

JottoSW1

So grabbed one of these with free postage (sic) v v v cheap and its on its way.

1) series 6 so no bipolar beary thingy ?

2) old style TE computer transistors ?

I'm guessing it's as reliable as a club hammer but more sledgehammer weight?

Calling at @Chimike who knows lots.

At some point I might look out for a used rack system for it. How much additional space would any of you folks recommend for any used rax mount preamps that I might develop gas for. No alembics etc as I'm skint

• Like 1

Old but gold there, man - they're tough old things and will be a 'good' 150w per ch.

Bi Polar Bear power amps were only fitted to SM, possibly some early SMC, mid production SMX and the earlier V-Type hybrid models. None of the pro-audio or stand alone products used it. If I remember correctly, the RA300 and the later PPA-300 don't even have a fan so given a little air flow, I would expect they'll outlast us all. 😃 

• Thanks 1

Correct, whopping heat sinks on photo.

I think I might get a second hand rack case for carrying it primarily, ideally with a bit of room for adequate air flow. Only more than purely cosmetic issue is a slightly bent rack ear. As and when I gets me some preamps they can live separately or are pedal jobbies.

Any spare parts required may be avilable ex another trace expert of our mutual acquaintance ie mosfets.

I have an Ah500x ex stewblack of this parish already so two channel goodness already available. Another beast that I need to look after 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here we are. Now two cheap preamps, a Rickenbacker Y cable and my friend's Rickenbacker.

Bit tatty but not as heavy as I expected. 

Cheers for info @VTypeV4 and @bremen

20240713_133543.thumb.jpg.2f4dfcccaa3138811ea5f5d9e73179f3.jpg20240713_133630.thumb.jpg.b0955ae216357673e4eb95cee3515693.jpg

Edited by JottoSW1
Thanks to Bremen
  • Like 4