Why become a member? ×

Rick o Sound Y cable configuration?

So as far as my imperfect understanding goes Rickenbackers need a stereo 6.5 trs jack wired to a shielded (4 core ??) Cable with one pair of trs plugs at each of the split pairs at the other end. I assume these can be mono plugs as they each only utilise 2 (positive and earth) of the bifurcated four core cable. Any maximum length to avoid signal drop ?

@VTypeV4 as an aside if a Rick was plugged into an AH500X could the two bass inputs be individually routed through the gp preamp and then thru power section.

Correct - one stereo to twin mono jack lead

Once you get to the amp end, you can do anything with it that you could do with two separate basses, not familiar with your amp or what you are trying to do, but if you could do it with two basses you could do it with a pair of rick cables

You only need 2 conductor and screen cable as it's a common screen/earth for both outputs. TRS jack on the end that plugs into the Rickenbacker and two TS jacks at the other end. Tip on the TRS jack is the neck pick-up and ring is the bridge. Instead of using a Y cable consider building a splitter box and then using a TRS-TRS cable and two standard TS-TS jacks cables for the outputs. IME this is more roust for gigging use.

I don't understand your second question. Do you want to run one side of the Rickenbacker through the pre-amp and then mix it with the other side sent directly to the power amp? AFAICS the amp you mention doesn't allow mixing at any of the post pre-amp inputs so plugging something into one of those sockets will disconnect the pre-amp. Ideally you should be using Rick-o-Sound with two separate amps and speakers for the most versatility.

If you've got an AH500X, It will work in stereo but not if you use the input via the front panel - all GP11 / GP12 have a single, mono instrument input. To do two inputs, you'd have to go in via the individual L/R fx returns but then you'd likely lose all that lovely EQ plus you'd almost certainly need a separate preamp / line amplifier to get enough level to drive the individual power amp sections in the AH500 adequately..

There is not that much point in putting both the outputs in ric-o-sound into the same thing anyway, it isn't going to sound a lot different to you using the normal output.

The only time you get a benifit is if you are processing both outputs in a different way, ie, different amp, different effects whatever

• Like 1

On 11/07/2024 at 09:21, VTypeV4 said:

If you've got an AH500X, It will work in stereo but not if you use the input via the front panel - all GP11 / GP12 have a single, mono instrument input. To do two inputs, you'd have to go in via the individual L/R fx returns but then you'd likely lose all that lovely EQ plus you'd almost certainly need a separate preamp / line amplifier to get enough level to drive the individual power amp sections in the AH500 adequately..

On 11/07/2024 at 08:19, BigRedX said:

You only need 2 conductor and screen cable as it's a common screen/earth for both outputs. TRS jack on the end that plugs into the Rickenbacker and two TS jacks at the other end. Tip on the TRS jack is the neck pick-up and ring is the bridge. Instead of using a Y cable consider building a splitter box and then using a TRS-TRS cable and two standard TS-TS jacks cables for the outputs. IME this is more roust for gigging use.

I don't understand your second question. Do you want to run one side of the Rickenbacker through the pre-amp and then mix it with the other side sent directly to the power amp? AFAICS the amp you mention doesn't allow mixing at any of the post pre-amp inputs so plugging something into one of those sockets will disconnect the pre-amp. Ideally you should be using Rick-o-Sound with two separate amps and speakers for the most versatility.

I get that.  Ah500x has 2 inputs on front panel. From what you say I can't split pre amp sections to utilise both individually to each single 250w power section then. Wish I had a users manual for it then my understanding might be more complete.

However, I do know that you can get 2 input/output channel preamps like KRK Rockit , in which case I can hitch that up to this20240713_133543.thumb.jpg.9b7a4029d7770ac26c33b24d1f7ee293.jpg

You can indeed, but I would suspect you wouldn't be that impressed with the output. If you are feeding both sides of the signal into to identical preamps and then feeding that into two channels of the same power amp, and presumably to two similar speakers, the effect is going to be remarkably the same as just feeding the pre-mixed signal out of a mono output, but with a lot more effort.

Its really IMO only worth doing if you are either doing different effects on each channel or putting them through very different amps.