Why become a member? ×

Obsidianwire solderless harness

Bought one of these today to test it out.

I put a preamp in my jazz bass, but i want to go back to passive.

This seems easiest and quickest way to be able to swap back and forth.

Looks like it should be easy enough to install.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/obsidianwire_j_style_bass_solderl._harness.htm

Yes, i realise it is pricey when you can just solder point to point, but the convenience is what sells it to me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lidl e said:

Are those little cog pots alright?

Looks cool. I do prefer CTS pots

Lightyears better than the CTS, which are absolutely not good pots: remember that Leo Fender was a genius for sure, but also cheapskate, so everything he used was simply what was the cheapest, including those CTS pots and, just to name one other, Jensen speakers.

It's amazing how people can be manipulated to believe false things and refuse real facts.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

It's amazing how people can be manipulated to believe false things and refuse real facts.

Im very susceptible 

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

But think how boring life would be if that wasn't the case :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I put a Jazz Bass Vintage 63 Obsidian wire harness             ( No longer in production) into a Squier VM fretless with upgraded pickups also..( Aguilar Jazz H.C) & there is a considerable improvement...in the instrument tonally but' they are a fiddley installation certainly not a five minute job at all & after lots of F%#!!!!! this & just why the F%#!!!! did i buy that.....i was happy with the finished project....

I did buy all of the replacement parts on the used market.

Edited by paulo m
  • Like 1

On 12/07/2024 at 00:20, lidl e said:

I do prefer CTS pots

I don't. Neither Alpha. As long as it is carbon track, it represents low quality.

Check Bourns plastic track, or Vishay cermet, or Alps step attenuators, or something that is specified as quality. A cheapo carbon pot is just rubbish.

I have made few step attenuators, like here with metal film resistors. That 3 pos switch is for the humbucker.

20220518_195119.thumb.jpg.46bc5d0c58f416002357824fa8622e91.jpg

Edited by itu
  • Like 3

On 11/07/2024 at 17:43, lidl e said:

Bought one of these today to test it out.

I put a preamp in my jazz bass, but i want to go back to passive.

This seems easiest and quickest way to be able to swap back and forth.

Looks like it should be easy enough to install.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/obsidianwire_j_style_bass_solderl._harness.htm

Yes, i realise it is pricey when you can just solder point to point, but the convenience is what sells it to me.

Congrats. 

next time consider @KiOgon as he makes solderless harnesses for half the price but as good quality. He can make you what you like within reason. 

• Like 1

Harness in hand. WIll try and install this evening.

@soulstar89 i did buy a kiogon harness for a p bass i built, but i wanted to try out the pcb thing. I'd never seen it before and thoguht it was cool. 

Seems very well built. Hopefully will sort it out tonight.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Having issues with this thing!

As stated above, it's very fiddly. I can't get the bridge pickup fitted right. 

Will report back

I read that it can be fiddly. One person on YouTube used a very thin flat head screw driver which did the job. 

good luck 

• Thanks 1

Take it Out' Put it all back in' Then take it out again' F#%! this & F%#! that....& just when you think youv'e cracked it.....Yes' take it all out again!!!!!🤔😉😵‍💫 

7 hours ago, lidl e said:

Having issues with this thing!

As stated above, it's very fiddly. I can't get the bridge pickup fitted right. 

Will report back

On 12/07/2024 at 07:14, Hellzero said:

Lightyears better than the CTS, which are absolutely not good pots: remember that Leo Fender was a genius for sure, but also cheapskate, so everything he used was simply what was the cheapest, including those CTS pots and, just to name one other, Jensen speakers.

Yes, those amazing "Tonewoods" he used, Polar, Swamp Ash etc were the native species, readily available in the USA. Nothing special ( and NOT tonewoods). You could argue that that was part of Leo's genius. He was practical and designed things that were easy to make from low cost components.

• Like 1