Why become a member? ×

Orange AD200

ped

Hi guys 

I’ve got a chance to borrow one of these long term. They look great - fairly reasonable weight and simple design. I’m not sure what cabinet will go with it, I don’t currently have a passive cab I can use it with of my own but have some options available at our practice studio. 

Apart from the expected cries of ‘get a Matamp’ I wondered if anyone here uses an ad200 and what you think of it. I have seen some good reviews by searching but I don’t recall much talk about them in recent memory. 

Any experiences, tips, reliability stories and advice gratefully received, cheers 

This is the amp I nearly got when moving from my CTM100 and settling on the V4B 

I think for rock they are a superb amp with just the right sound but now for me they are too big and too heavy 

I had one for years and it was fantastic. I paired mine with the OBC410 but I am of an age now where nothing in this sentence is a weight I would describe as reasonable! Hands down one of the best sounds I ever had though.

Thanks chaps, yeah the weight will be OK, it's only slightly heavier than my Blackstar combo so as long as I can get it out of the car into the house that's fine (I have learned that one trip load-in at gigs just means I end up carrying other people's heavy kit instead!)

I am thinking it would pair nicely with a Schroder or Epifani cab, although I think there's a Fender or Ashdown 610 neo at the studio which would also be interesting.

I'm surprised you say there's not much online about the AD200B? There's loads if you search. It's the best compromise between a sensible weight and giggable output all valve head still in production IMO. I'd recommend a pair of ceramic 210 or 112 cabs. There's just something about ceramics that neos don't have IME. There's no science behind my opinion, just my ownership experience with ceramic and neo Bergantino cabs. I'll never lift another 100lb cab but two 50lb are still manageable. The day I can't lift 50lbs, I'll know a 200 watt all valve amp isn't for me either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

I'm surprised you say there's not much online about the AD200B? There's loads if you search. It's the best compromise between a sensible weight and giggable output all valve head still in production IMO. I'd recommend a pair of ceramic 210 or 112 cabs. There's just something about ceramics that neos don't have IME. There's no science behind my opinion, just my ownership experience with ceramic and neo Bergantino cabs. I'll never lift another 100lb cab but two 50lb are still manageable. The day I can't lift 50lbs, I'll know a 200 watt all valve amp isn't for me either.

Thanks, yes I’ve found quite a lot by searching but I don’t remember reading much about them in passing, maybe I just never noticed or before.

Cab wise I’ve been looking at 4x10, 2x15 and maybe 2x12s it just depends on what’s nearby to be honest. I’m quite happy to bide my time. It looks like the Bergantino 410 works well with it but then I’m also tempted with a cheap Fender 4x10 I’ve seen locally. Like you say, 25kgs or thereabouts is ok for me. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

If you're playing in a loud rock band, they're great. If not, I would look elsewhere. 

Aye, I am at the moment - we have some semi big venue gigs coming up. Tbh my Blackstar combo and extension sound great so this is more of a curiosity really, having played various tube amps before. I'm interested to see if there really is something 'extra' or if it's rose tinted spectacles. 

@ped - I'd be interested to hear your thoughts too if you do go for it. I've had a hankering for an all tube head recently, and this seems like it would suit me nicely. My ABM-600 isn't exactly lacking but I'm wondering if there might be some squashy tube magic I'm missing out on. It also might just be GAS 😅

7 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I can also say the Ampeg V4B amp is a fantastic and loud amp and works great with rock stuff 

Using the SVT212AV cab or two SVT112AV cabs make it a great rock band rig 

Yeah if I was buying I'd be tempted but this one won't cost me anything so I'm looking forward to trying it. I have used Trace tube heads and Mesa 400+ a lot in the past, including SVT-CL and currently a PF50T. I've never tried an Orange, so it'll be cool to give it a go. I don't know if I can stomach the full matching orange cabs, and tbh I'm not even sure if the AD200 I'm getting is in an orange case, as they appear to come in black and sometimes white, too. I'll probably get it in a couple of weeks so will let you know!

• Like 1