Why become a member? ×

The P bass just wont go away

diskwave

Yes I know another P bass thread, however I dont want to know what they're like, make comparisons etc dont need to, played them for years. Seems there are so many brands and styles out there yet you look in the classifieds and there are so few P basses for sale, yet the vibe I get, especially around here is that they are just not that popular, you have to search high and low to find one. Just got me thinking. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, diskwave said:

Yes I know another P bass thread, however I dont want to know what they're like, make comparisons etc dont need to, played them for years. Seems there are so many brands and styles out there yet you look in the classifieds and there are so few P basses for sale, yet the vibe I get, especially around here is that they are just not that popular, you have to search high and low to find one. Just got me thinking. 

Not sure any of that's true, there's quite a few for sale now and always tend to be, they're as popular as Jazzes (the main competition), more popular than 'rays and derivatives, and way more popular than Rics

• Like 1

Ok. Id say there are way more Jazzes and derivates of, than P basses for sale at any one time, yet I get the sense that J's are more popular which would mean more peeps would hang on to them, or maybe not. 

Ranked list of 2022 bass sales on Reverb is below:

Squier Classic Vibe VI

Fender Player Precision Bass

Fender Offset Series Mustang Bass PJ / Gretsch Junior Jet II

Squier Affinity Precision Bass PJ

Rickenbacker 4003

Sterling StingRay Ray4

Fender American Professional II Precision

Squier Affinity Bronco Bass

Fender Player Jazz Bass / JB-62 Jazz

Ibanez GSRM20 Gio Mikro

Squier Affinity Jazz Bass

Ibanez SR300E Soundgear Standard

Hofner Ignition Pro Violin Bass

Fender Precision Bass (1970-'83)

Fender Standard Jazz Bass / American Professional II Jazz Bass / Squier Classic Vibe '70s Jazz Bass

Squier Classic Vibe '70s Precision

Squier Classic Vibe '60s Jazz

Squier Classic Vibe '60s Precision

Fender Player Mustang Bass PJ

Squier Classic Vibe '50s Precision

Source: https://forum.bassbuzz.com/t/2022-most-sold-basses-via-reverb-fender-bass-vi-at-1/35464

Is any of that true and accurate? Hard to tell, but the placement of the Classic Vibe VI at #1 spot is somewhat concerning.

And of course there are no actual sales figures, just a listing.

23 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The humble Precision, imo best bass there is. 

Here too. Have to admit after decades of playing them and a few other types which didn't last long, ... a  P bass just feels like an old pair of shoes.. it just fits so well... so darn easy to make work whatever Im asked to play.

• Like 4

Maybe over there, but I doubt it.

Over here, still plenty for sale, countless posts about them, and many, many people still calling them the perfect bass...although the same can be said for the Jazz bass.

The Precision isn't my favorite bass, but...

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/why-does-talkbass-love-the-p-bass-so-much.1654921/

I've owned quite a few P basses, but none ever compared to this.

(There must be a reason Diviser builds 100 Jazz basses for every P bass they make.)

Picsart_24-07-05_13-52-40-150.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

P Basses are extremely popular at the moment, and has been so for a while.

They are in fact experiencing a regular renaissance.    

Aye, approximately 70 years

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, diskwave said:

...yet you look in the classifieds and there are so few P basses for sale, yet the vibe I get, especially around here is that they are just not that popular...

From being on this site for a good few years now, what I have seen is that the P Bass is hugely popular, possibly the most popular individual bass. What I have also seen is people turning over Jazz Basses in a search for the ultimate one - pick-up placing, neck profile, binding, blocks, maple/rosewood.  Then they enter the realms of active, so again, pick-up choice, pre-amps, wiring. Those seriously afflicted then get into the 'Super Jazz' market. 

The P Bass user knows a P Bass sounds like a P Bass and just gets on with it (until gas kicks in and they want another one)! 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Mykesbass said:

From being on this site for a good few years now, what I have seen is that the P Bass is hugely popular, possibly the most popular individual bass. What I have also seen is people turning over Jazz Basses in a search for the ultimate one - pick-up placing, neck profile, binding, blocks, maple/rosewood.  Then they enter the realms of active, so again, pick-up choice, pre-amps, wiring. Those seriously afflicted then get into the 'Super Jazz' market. 

The P Bass user knows a P Bass sounds like a P Bass and just gets on with it (until gas kicks in and they want another one)! 

There's a lot of truth in that 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having been stalking the For Sale section for a year or so looking for the right Jazz, I feel that only recently there's been an uptick in the amount of J basses for sale, but never any shortage of P basses. IMO.

• Like 1

the thing is the P bass' beauty is its simplicity... the ingredients are fairly set, you can upgrade pickups and go for different sounds, or maybe better tuners ... but thats it. the simplisity means I think there's less variation between the sounds you would want, whereas jazz styles are a bit more variable.... so if you have a good P - why would you ever want or need to sell it? Even if you end up playing 6 string fan fret through neck d-tuner 4 pickup piezo equipped filter preamp at you jazz gig/pub - the P will do the P thing better than anything else - you you will keep hold of it....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Even if you end up playing 6 string fan fret through neck d-tuner 4 pickup piezo equipped filter preamp fretless at you jazz gig/pub - the P will do the P thing better than anything else - you you will keep hold of it....

Fixed it for you Luke 👍

2 hours ago, Bolo said:

If we count the double soapbar type as a jazz it would account for over 80% of the for sale adds.

My headless 5-string Sei Flamboyant has two J pickups in somewhere round J positions. My headless 5-string fretless Sei Original has two soapbars in somewhere round J positions. I wouldn't count either of them as a Jazz, in fact I'd be extremely offended if anyone did.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2024 at 09:23, OliverBlackman said:

You’ve got it all wrong. P basses are very popular on BC but everyone needs one so they don’t tend to sell them. I’ve had mine since 2006!

I don't need one. HTH.