Why become a member? ×

The P bass just wont go away

diskwave

4 minutes ago, ped said:

I think P basses bring out the anti-fanbois more than the fanbois personally

It’s like the old veganism quote… There’s nothing more a vegan/Precision hater loves more than to tell you how much they love being a vegan/hating Precisions.

I love mine. I think they’re the dogs doodahs. They just work without any fuss. An incredibly versatile instrument for something so basic. God bless Leo. 

Edited by Bassybert
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/07/2024 at 08:48, diskwave said:

Yes I know another P bass thread, however I dont want to know what they're like, make comparisons etc dont need to, played them for years. Seems there are so many brands and styles out there yet you look in the classifieds and there are so few P basses for sale, yet the vibe I get, especially around here is that they are just not that popular, you have to search high and low to find one. Just got me thinking. 

Because they are so popular, not many get sold s/h.

When I switched back from 4s to 5s I sold my Precisions to a local shop. Had they been rare or unusual it would have made infinitely more sense to list them here and await a discerning buyer, but in the event I decided to sell my utilitarian instruments in a befitting manner and avoid all the negatives that come with private selling. Can't speak for anyone else, but that's why you didn't see mine for sale in the marketplace.

5 hours ago, JoeEvans said:

I think the P bass was the first production instrument that was recognisably a modern bass guitar in all respects - materials, scale length, body shape, pickup design, tuners, headstock, truss rod, controls, the lot. Every other bass since is a variation on that original design.

I surprises me how many people blithly ignore the fact that the 'standard p-bass' doesn't have the un-contoured body, single coil pickup or headstock of the 'original p-bass', yet 'Leo got it right first time'.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 6

57 minutes ago, ped said:

I think P basses bring out the anti-fanbois more than the fanbois personally

I just enjoy winding up the fanbois. After all, there's nothing so tedious as a P bass thread until a bit of life is injected into it.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

I just enjoy winding up the fanbois. After all, there's nothing so tedious as a P bass thread until a bit of life is injected into it.

Probably time to logout and go for a walk or something if that’s your idea of fun.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

When I was getting into music in 70s it seemed as though the bass players in the bands I liked all played Rickenbacker, Gibsons, or something with a weird shape made by John Birch. Fender basses were never on my radar. In fact I never realised that there was supposed to be something extra special about them until I joined some bass players internet forums.

I started playing in 79 and actively avoided Fender until the late 90s. Even then it wasn’t until 2010 that I moved more into the Fender world. I still have other basses, like my Spector. Still Fender was the number one recorded bass for many years. Now the emphasis is more about what tones support the music you play. Change is good. 

Edited by Moving Pictures

I considered myself as a non-precision person until the last five years when I felt the need to try one out. However, some time later it occurred to me that the fretless I've been playing for about 37 years is a Japanese (Maya) P-bass copy. Hmm. I had never actually thought of it as such.

• Like 1

I also never considered myself a P person. I've always favoured basses with two pickups, and love warm Jazz Bass tones and more modern active basses with soapbars, whether they be singlecoils or humbuckers. I've owned PJ-basses before, varying from Fender-like (Ibanez RS924, G&L SB-2) to more modern active basses with the P-pickup reversed (Ibanez SR800LE, Warwick Streamer LX) but never used the splitcoil on its own. I briefly owned a Fender MIJ '57 P reissue but absolutely hated it. 

Now I have a Sandberg Lionel shortscale P, which I bought based on looks (and being a shortscale) mostly, and you just can't argue with the authority of a P with flats. It just sounds so good! Totally wasn't expecting I would like it this much. 

• Like 2

On 12/07/2024 at 17:28, Baloney Balderdash said:

P Basses are extremely popular at the moment, and has been so for a while.

They are in fact experiencing a regular renaissance.    

On 12/07/2024 at 19:48, Jono Bolton said:

Aye, approximately 70 years

Maybe i should have formulated myself differently and said "P Basses are more popular than ever at the moment" (or at least more popular currently than they have been since the 60's/70's, where they were arguably even more popular).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 15/07/2024 at 19:08, Moving Pictures said:

I started playing in 79 and actively avoided Fender until the late 90s

Same here tbh. . For me the Ray killed the P bass dead. In 1977 I got an early one and played it all thru the 80's.

My first bass was a Squier Affinity P bass, and I think I have pretty much always had one knocking about (especially for recording).  As I glance to my left, there on my "grab-it-for-a-quick-noodle" stand is my black MIM P bass. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, franzbassist said:

The tone of Mark O'Toole's Precision is incredible on this track.  The playing's not too shabby either.

Blimey, without taking anything from that (which was fantastic) I thought FGH were slightly infamous for having session bass players playing the album tracks?

My main axe has been Stingray5 since forever. But lately I can't get my hands off my Ps (and my BC feed off P related threads).

A month ago I just owned a Harley Benton PB20, upgraded with a beat up but functional '90s Korean Samick neck (skinny profile, P width tho'). All super cheap, but still real nice playing and sounding. Now, 2 top GAS inducing Ps of mine happened to show up in 2nd hand sites over the last few weeks (cheap, but not as cheap as the "hybrid"). Well, I'm stuck with 3 of them Ps since a few days ago. Ideally I need to let one of the "expensive" ones go. Like them all (all skinny neck profiles too, that's a pet peeve of mine, as I said, too many years playing Stingray5s).

i've been using Precisions more and more in the last few years. Always loved them (from John Deacon's to Jay Bentley's), just didn't get involved with them myself (except for a brief stint with a friend's American Deluxe P5, which I didnt like). I never took the time to understand the ways they like to be played. Wasn't prepared, I guess. I always totally got the Jazz Bass, started playing bass on one in fact. But it took me 'till the latest decade (my punkest) to learn to feel comfortable and somewhat (barely) competent with a Precision in my hands. Totally my fault.

1 month ago...

Now...

Edited by andruca
  • Like 1

On 19/07/2024 at 22:45, franzbassist said:

The tone of Mark O'Toole's Precision is incredible on this track.

Great sound indeed in the context of the track, but given the number of factors that go to make up what you hear from the player's fingers all the way to the listeners ears, to single out one thing as being key is naive to say the least. Also given the amount of compression and drive I can hear, I would suggest that almost any bass played with a pick would be capable of delivering a suitable sound. 

• Confused 1