Why become a member? ×

The P bass just wont go away

diskwave

Well given that neither the bass nor the player (and especially not the amp if it’s an SVT) have anything to do with the sound the audience hear then why not expect the Motorbikin’ Womble to be holding down the low end behind the curtains, just like he supposedly did on guitar for The Pistols 🤣

55 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Well given that neither the bass nor the player (and especially not the amp if it’s an SVT) have anything to do with the sound the audience hear then why not expect the Motorbikin’ Womble to be holding down the low end behind the curtains, just like he supposedly did on guitar for The Pistols 🤣

In between shooting JFK and kidnapping Shergar...

• Haha 1

I've had a sh'tload of P-basses, though I really am a Jazz Bass guy. Still I only own one(!) Jazz Bass...
Earlier this spring I bought a sunburst '78 that I hoped to keep. A young friend of mine reached out and said: "I am born the same year as the bass, let me trade my Fender Roscoe Beck V for it."

The Roscoe Beck was a bass more of my liking, so the old buoy sinker was traded. I already had a plan and bought myself a beautiful new Fender Vintera II 60's P-bass. Light as a feather, Olympic White and with the wider and flatter neck that I like. Well, here it is...

20240708_150008.jpg

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 3

Tha FGH tone is pure ole school P bass and SVT Peg, tho I spect its an app or something nowdays, but yes about as far away from ur lush bedroom tone as its poss  to get..with very little boom.. works a treat. Anyway this thread has drifted somewhat, still a good read. As you were.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

It was John McVie in the womble suit on at least on occasion.

• 2 weeks later...

I only own one bass, my player Precison and I’ve only been playing less than 2 years. 
I went to quite a few shops and tried all sorts of basses before I could even play a full tune. I tried a basic squire p bass and just instantly thought “that sounds awesome” but still tried others just in case. 
Eventually stuck with the P and went for the cheapest fender version as I preferred the neck and colour. 
I keep trying other basses but I’m still not found something I like as much. 
To me I think that if I don’t like the tone I am getting it must be my fault. I’ve gone to analysing how I’m playing in order to get different tones rather than buying a new instructing and it’s worked so far. 

Another issue is that some people say they are harder to play. When I bought mine I had no idea how to play so I thought “I don’t know any different so why should I be bothered?”. It’s not really been an issue, just my short arms and fingers are a problem 😂 But I’ve adapted and it’s going ok. Yeah the strings are further apart than some others but it just means I can hit the string with a pick and make an awesome sound and there’s less chance of me hitting another string. 

The only bass I’m thinking of getting, and I’ll need to see one in real life before I buy one, is the potential Epiphone reissue of the Gibson G3, but it has big boots to fill. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

I’ve gone to analysing how I’m playing in order to get different tones rather than buying a new instructing and it’s worked so far. 

You won't get very far on this forum with that sort of attitude young man 😂

I'm in the same boat, I have just the one bass and that's a P. Does everything I need it to.

• Like 1

A P doesn't even have to look like a P...

I've had all sorts of basses over the years in terms of makes and designs (and I'm going nowhere near what woods they were made of, nononononoooo), and the only ones that really stuck were ones with a split coil pickup in the P-position, because that's the sound I like. Pretty much all of the basses I've got now are that, tho to look at some of them you might not know: I've a Shuker Horn with a split-coil EMG soapbar, a Shukerbird with a split-coil Dingwall soapbar, a BB414 with a Yamaha split-P, a JJB Sig with a custom-wound Split-P and my current Cheapo Fave is a Squier Sonic P with a DiMarzio P. Some of them are passive, some have a John East Uni-Pre, they're all very different shapes (and woods, eeeek), but the two things they have in common are the strings and that pickup in the right position. A few of them have two pickups, but I very very rarely use the bridge pickup. I can get My Sound out of all of them very easily, and that's because they're all essentially a P-Bass. And none of them are a Fender...not because of any problems I have with Fender (I've had a fair few Fender Ps, too), it's just worked out that way.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Minininjarob said:

if I don’t like the tone I am getting it must be my fault. I’ve gone to analysing how I’m playing in order to get different tones rather than buying a new instructing and it’s worked so far. 

You'll do 😁

11 hours ago, Muzz said:

A P doesn't even have to look like a P...

I've had all sorts of basses over the years in terms of makes and designs (and I'm going nowhere near what woods they were made of, nononononoooo), and the only ones that really stuck were ones with a split coil pickup in the P-position, because that's the sound I like. Pretty much all of the basses I've got now are that, tho to look at some of them you might not know: I've a Shuker Horn with a split-coil EMG soapbar, a Shukerbird with a split-coil Dingwall soapbar, a BB414 with a Yamaha split-P, a JJB Sig with a custom-wound Split-P and my current Cheapo Fave is a Squier Sonic P with a DiMarzio P. Some of them are passive, some have a John East Uni-Pre, they're all very different shapes (and woods, eeeek), but the two things they have in common are the strings and that pickup in the right position. A few of them have two pickups, but I very very rarely use the bridge pickup. I can get My Sound out of all of them very easily, and that's because they're all essentially a P-Bass. And none of them are a Fender...not because of any problems I have with Fender (I've had a fair few Fender Ps, too), it's just worked out that way.

My Westone Thunder I sounds "more like a precision than a precision".