Why become a member? ×

Choosing Songs In A Covers Band

1 hour ago, Jackroadkill said:

I'll bet she doesn't; they're pretty misogynistic and utterly without artistic merit.

I once saw the German chancellor Gerhard Schroeder singing along to this. And more. Bizarre! (Keir Starmer do not copy)😂

• Haha 1

This thread encouraged to go and investigate the song. Oh dear. But I think I would like to hear it sung by a woman who had changed all the words, replacing the original meaning with a PJ Harvey- / Justine Frischmann-like contempt for inadequate masculinity.

4 minutes ago, Munurmunuh said:

This thread encouraged to go and investigate the song. Oh dear. But I think I would like to hear it sung by a woman who had changed all the words, replacing the original meaning with a PJ Harvey- / Justine Frischmann-like contempt for inadequate masculinity.

I'd be on board with this, in the interests of fairness if nothing else.

• Like 1

Well.... surely the main thing is to be in a band where there is common ground.  You play music for yourself first, and the punters after.  I can't see the point in playing something you don't like - unless you are in some boring "functions" band playing Neil Sedaka.  I play in a blues band, four of us, and that is the music we love.  And that's what we play!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Muzz said:

Ohhhh, go on; show us the AI rewritten lyrics... 😁

OK, here they are...I mean it's better than the original, but still rotten!

It’s early morning, the sun comes out
we hit the stage,  no room for doubt 
The crowd is roaring, the energy’s high 
We rock this town.. and reach for the sky

The Crowd are Hungry, they need to tell
We play it loud... we feed them well
More days to come, new places to go
We've got to leave, to another show

Here I am...

The Body is breaking, its starts to shout
a Feeling is coming, to break out loud
Trapped in these cages, 'til storm breaks loose
Hit the boards and Rock the way we choose

The night is calling, we have to go
The Streets are Hungry, they run the show
We're Back on the Road, we're ready to win
No time to feel this Love at First Sting.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, grapefruitmoon said:

OK, here they are...I mean it's better than the original, but still rotten!

It’s early morning, the sun comes out
we hit the stage,  no room for doubt 
The crowd is roaring, the energy’s high 
We rock this town.. and reach for the sky

The Crowd are Hungry, they need to tell
We play it loud... we feed them well
More days to come, new places to go
We've got to leave, to another show

Here I am...

The Body is breaking, its starts to shout
a Feeling is coming, to break out loud
Trapped in these cages, 'til storm breaks loose
Hit the boards and Rock the way we choose

The night is calling, we have to go
The Streets are Hungry, they run the show
We're Back on the Road, we're ready to win
No time to feel this Love at First Sting.

Personally, I think it has done a pretty good job of sorting out something that was originally pretty horrific. Hats off to AI on this occasion. Still wouldn't want to perform it!

Ohhh, thanks for that 🙂

Well, I don't think the Ted Hughes Award Committee's going to be troubled much, but it's a lot better.

And at least it didn't, like Jon Bon Jovi did once, rhyme 'I wanna be just as close as' with 'The Holy Ghost is'...four times in one song...  😀

Edited by Muzz
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 18/07/2024 at 22:59, Tony1953 said:

Well.... surely the main thing is to be in a band where there is common ground.  You play music for yourself first, and the punters after.  I can't see the point in playing something you don't like - unless you are in some boring "functions" band playing Neil Sedaka.  I play in a blues band, four of us, and that is the music we love.  And that's what we play!

"You play music for yourself first, and the punters after" - a very naive PoV I think. This won't work if you want to play regularly to the mainstream public and earn money doing it. - ignore the punters at your peril. However, if you're aspirations to playing in public consist of amusing yourself and your bandmates with 40-minute improvisations on 'Red House' to one man and a dog in a back room somewhere, good luck to you!

• Like 1

Probably said it upthread. You're being paid to entertain. If you're not playing music and entertaining people they leave before the second set starts, or they don't book you again.

If you're not enjoying the music, it will show, and you'll probably not be very entertaining.

So play music that entertains everyone including yourself. There's enough music out there. The sticking point is always finding music that all the band will be happy playing. Personally I'll play anything (except Beatles and Stones) if the audience enjoy it. 

Reverting to tired standards is low risk and musically boring if you're playing the same songs week in week out, but the same happens to all tunes eventually. 

So you need to rotate tunes, especially if you're playing the same venues each time. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Gasman said:

"You play music for yourself first, and the punters after" - a very naive PoV I think. This won't work if you want to play regularly to the mainstream public and earn money doing it. - ignore the punters at your peril. However, if you're aspirations to playing in public consist of amusing yourself and your bandmates with 40-minute improvisations on 'Red House' to one man and a dog in a back room somewhere, good luck to you!

It’s the balance between providing something that you enjoy without becoming exactly the same covers band playing exactly the same set as another band elsewhere in town at the same time.

Nobody needs another band playing Sweet Child o’ mine and Livin’ on a Prayer.

• Like 5

On 16/07/2024 at 19:03, Stub Mandrel said:

It always amazes me how difficult some bands make the task of choosing songs. There are, literally, thousands of well-known songs to choose from that general audiences will happily enjoy, and as many again if you focus on a particular genre (e.g. ska, classic rock, country...)

Assuming that any band has a basic genre or style and that the band members don't actively dislike the music that fits the band, it shouldn't be hard to pull together a couple of dozen songs that everyone agrees on.

Both bands I'm in regularly share videos on what'sapp and rather than actively chucking songs out we tend to have songs that come up where we all say 'yes'. Yes, we have the usual constraints -  the vocalist says he's been in a band singing Dio songs, and he doesn't want to do that to his vocal cords any more. The drummer likes things that stretch him. I don't like songs that just have root eighth notes.... But this positive discussion has brought in a lot of songs that are new to at least one or two of us. I have never thought of doing Audioslave or INXS before. We all have been pretty excited by the suggestion of a Manic Street Preachers song. Despite scepticism, we enjoyed doing a Tom Jones song (Sex Bomb) so much, we're going to rock up Delilah as well.

Can I recommend “don’t lose your head” by Inxs? Not eighth note fodder, Garry beers at his finest, very underrated player in my humble opinion 

1 hour ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

It’s the balance between providing something that you enjoy without becoming exactly the same covers band playing exactly the same set as another band elsewhere in town at the same time.

Nobody needs another band playing Sweet Child o’ mine and Livin’ on a Prayer.

Yup, we have a cheese list which we will not play, but it's pretty small, basically Dakota, Sex on Fire, Sweet Child o' Mine at the moment.  Livin' on a Prayer is in the spares box right now with its coat on a very shoogly peg :)

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well...yes and no.  If you save the Inevitable Cheese for the last few songs the punters are well oiled, and that's exactly what they want to hear: something obvious they can sing along to. It might come as a shock, but 90% of punters aren't as aware of music or as opinionated about it as musicians are...

The trick is to do it well, of course, no matter what it is.

• Like 3

Oh my Scottish brother from another mother @neepheid , I really like playing Dakota and now you've nixed it. I guess I have to play it more so I will come to hate it as much as everyone else does. 

partial excuse : I’m playing with an acoustic guitarist who tells me that he previously  thumb -hit the bass strings to get “the impact” of the bass notes in there. I’ve told him that he is too intelligent to be a guitard and has raised his game too far such that he may be lynched by his troglodyte peers. 

Edited by Geek99

2 hours ago, Gasman said:

I think many (most?) of us want to play music rather than earn money - I just want to cover the costs of rehearsals, travel and a great collection of gear...

There are different audiences and different genres of music. I play in two bands, both playing genres of music I like, and except for two crowd pleasers (Dakota and Sex on Fire) all the songs are enjoyed by all the members of the respective bands.  The BL of the blues band is also in a fairly successful and rising indie band -  he says 'I don't really listen to that sort of music' and prefers playing the blues.

My first priority is to enjoy the music we play, I'm not very fussy to be honest (because I enjoy learning unfamiliar material), but both bands I'm in focus on stuff I really like.

We have no shortage of audiences or gigs...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TimR said:

Probably said it upthread. You're being paid to entertain. If you're not playing music and entertaining people they leave before the second set starts, or they don't book you again.

If you're not enjoying the music, it will show, and you'll probably not be very entertaining.

So play music that entertains everyone including yourself. There's enough music out there. The sticking point is always finding music that all the band will be happy playing. Personally I'll play anything (except Beatles and Stones) if the audience enjoy it. 

Reverting to tired standards is low risk and musically boring if you're playing the same songs week in week out, but the same happens to all tunes eventually. 

So you need to rotate tunes, especially if you're playing the same venues each time. 

For once I entirely agree with @TimR - is it a Blue Moon?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think many (most?) of us want to play music rather than earn money - I just want to cover the costs of rehearsals, travel and a great collection of gear...

There are different audiences and different genres of music. I play in two bands, both playing genres of music I like, and except for two crowd pleasers (Dakota and Sex on Fire) all the songs are enjoyed by all the members of the respective bands.  The BL of the blues band is also in a fairly successful and rising indie band -  he says 'I don't really listen to that sort of music' and prefers playing the blues.

My first priority is to enjoy the music we play, I'm not very fussy to be honest (because I enjoy learning unfamiliar material), but both bands I'm in focus on stuff I really like.

TBH I’ve never been more blissed out than the moment when I was totally immersed in playing “stand by me” with my bass teacher playing (i mean slumming it) on guitar. It’s all about the music. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You need an audience even if you're not getting paid or not interested in the money.

They may just be paying in applause or showing some appreciation by not leaving.

But if you play a venue and empty it, even if you play for free, you won't be asked back.

If you have no shortage of audiences or gigs then you are not solely playing songs for your own enjoyment, you are choosing good popular music to play that other people enjoy.

If I primarily played the music I listen to at home, I'd not find a band and not play any gigs. 

• Like 1