Why become a member? ×

Choosing Songs In A Covers Band

On 18/07/2024 at 22:59, Tony1953 said:

. . . .  You play music for yourself first, and the punters after.  I can't see the point in playing something you don't like - unless you are in some boring "functions" band playing Neil Sedaka.  I play in a blues band, four of us, and that is the music we love.  And that's what we play!

There is nothing that makes a blues band a better band to play in than a top 40 cover band. I've played in blues bands for the last 50 years and the way many play is unimaginative and dull. Many blues musicians are boring and the endless, unimaginative solos are tedious as hell. There is not a lot to like about many blues bands.

I enjoy playing bass, in a band, of good players, to an appreciative audience, and getting paid for it. All that is the biggest part of what makes playing in a band satisfying and fun.

IME good bands usually chose good songs. Good players playing well means I don't care what the songs are. I'm having a blast being on a stage with talented people.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chris_b said:

There is nothing that makes a blues band a better band to play in than a top 40 cover band. I've played in blues bands for the last 50 years and the way many play is unimaginative and dull. Many blues musicians are boring and the endless, unimaginative solos are tedious as hell. There is not a lot to like about many blues bands.

Not all blues musicians are equal, I have the privilege of playing with a very talented (and knowledgable) guitarist skilled way beyond his age.

This is true of all genres of music.

22 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Not all blues musicians are equal, I have the privilege of playing with a very talented (and knowledgable) guitarist skilled way beyond his age.

This is true of all genres of music.

I do too. . . . it is.

That's why I used "many".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

this is true, there are always some exceptions and I know some great blues mucisians, but I have seen more bad than good when it comes to blues, it does tend to be the lowest common denominator of musicians so I am always impressed when I hear a good one and very impressed if I hear something special

• Like 1