Why become a member? ×

String buzz, playing rockabilly slap

Hi, I'm having some problems with string buzz on my double bass I was using innovations (silver slap or rockabilly slap I can't remember) on my E string and superior bass works standard black strings, thinnest strings on the others I really like them as there so much easier to play with. 

I've had my bass for a while and I just got it professionally set up as I was having some buzzing on the E string (on frets 1,2,3) and on the D (fret 2 ) and in the G (fret 2 and 4) the A string has no buzzing at all on any fret.

I was told it was because the nut was too high and the bridge was too low, he also found high spots on the fingerboard and smoothed it out for me. 

He lowered the nut and fitted a adjustable bridge, the lowest the bridge can go to is 6mm-G 10mm-E which I liked but the buzzing is still there. The G is fine but the D still buzzing on fret 2 and 3, A fret 3 and E buzzing on fret 1,2,3. I sent it back to him to have another look at because it's still buzzing, and I gave him Innovations strings it try out to see if they helps.

He's said that all he can do it adjust the bridge height higher to get rid of the buzzing. So now the strings heights are G-9mm, E-11mm. I'm thinking this maybe too high? I haven't got my bass back yet so haven't tried it out but it just seems high to me for rockabilly slap, I worry if I lower the bridge back down it will just buzz again. And if 9mm-11mm is the lowest I can have it without buzzing doesn't seem very comfortable to play.

He also used a 4/4 bridge when my bass is 3/4 would that make any difference? I can't understand why it's still buzzing, do you think if the nut was higher it would help and I could have action lowered to how I had it before? Also, I just play acoustic, and was told if I had a amp most of the buzzing wouldn't be picked up. Any ideas on why it's buzzing and how to have the action lower as I've seen a lot double bass players have a low action usually G6mm-E10mm for playing rockabilly slap bass but for some reason mine is just buzzing if I have it at that height. Any ideas thanks.

Have you come to DB from electric bass?

I ask as the string heights here don’t seem particularly high here. There may be a technique issue that’s impacting your sound.

In terms of playing rockabilly slap, I’m not sure a slight buzz is going to affect the sound too much (the percussive element is a huge part of the sound, after all).

Theres a difference if the note is choking out or there’s a bit of percussive noise. I play high tempo blues stuff and I’m forever making percussive noises and it’s very much encouraged.

9 hours ago, keeponehandloose said:

Sounds like the strings you are using are too low tension. They may be easy to play but the trade off is that they will be quieter, less defined and buzz occasionaly.

Really good point. I found the Innovations to be quite “flappy” and there was definite buzz (not the growl that you want).

Lots of possible reasons for that buzz, not all of them string related.

I just found the cause of a buzz that had been bugging me for ages. I ruled out the strings on fingerboard after a while, even though it was around the A on the G string that always caused it. Turns out it was just a frequency/resonance issue. The D tuning peg was rattling inside its brackets. Bit of grease and that buzz has gone.

Even so, sounds like your probably are string/fingerboard. As Burnsbass said, your string heights aren't high. There are two very different schools of thought for slap, depending on your technique. Typically a super fast psycho- style clicketyclick goes with steels, mag pickup and highly amplified sound with a very low action - lots of click, low acoustic volume. But a more traditional rockabilly thunkety thunk goes with a very high action, and low tension / gut strings. 10-15mm or higher not unusual. Lots more acoustic volume, much more string movement.  Your personal preference will be somewhere in between.

In short, if a higher action gets rid of the buzz with those low tension strings, give it a try .. it might improve your technique!          

• Like 1

The action hight I was going for was for more psychobilly, so it can be played faster with that click click. And I based it off what others had there action, many year's ago there was a forum call rockabillybass.com. and people poster that action, so I imagine they must of had fret buzz but had it amplified so you don't hear while playing.

The fingerboard has been done and the guy (Luthier) reckons it's fine, and he highered the bridge as it's adjustable but it still buzzes when I play slap. The E string on the 3rd and 2 has always buzzed straight out the box when I got it new and that's with a full size bridge uncut and with steel stings and that was just when I was plucking it. And he also said that the A string vibrates too much and had to redo the nut and that there maybe a fault with string it's self. So I guess all I can do is wack the bridge up as high as it will go. Is there a possibility of a wolf note?

The buzzing that I have isn't slight either, this is buzzing with a thud and just sounds awful, but the A string sound great!

3 hours ago, Monstera11 said:

The buzzing that I have isn't slight either, this is buzzing with a thud and just sounds awful, but the A string sound great!

Sorry wrote that wrong, I meant the G string sounds great, only string that does. It's annoying because before I sent it to the luthier the A string was fine, no buzz at all. I can't really afford to get looked at again, plus I already sent it back to him and he said it's fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if you need to look at your technique? Of course you might be doing it just fine (if you're following advice from the good old days of Rockabillybass.com you will be ... that's a blast from the past, I was one of the top posters on there!), but it is pretty easy to make a horrible noise if you just pull in the wrong direction. There's quite a knack to getting a clean click.

Where do you live? 

Rockabillybass.com was the best!

I'm not sure it is my technique or not because it only happens on those strings and frets, everywhere is fine no buzz. The luthier that fixed it said it may also be me and that I should try slapping the string sideways? rather than straight up.( I didn't go there in person I got my bass collected from my house, so it's hard to tell if it's my technique or not as he didn't see my play it)

I'm from Sussex, it's frustrating because the way it's setup now, even if the bridge is put up to it's highest and I put on low tension strings it's still not that high so it will probably still buzz regardless.