Why become a member? ×

The Music Business Today

I think he’s absolutely right. Do it because you love it and take the opportunities when they come. It’ll be a great ride.

When I was 18 I wanted to be a full time professional, but I realised I’d likely end up spending my life playing Grease or whatever for a few quid it lost its appeal. I did lots of gigs with heritage acts (I guess you’d call them) stacked full of hired hands who gave me an honest insight into life on the road. 

I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have been good enough either. Mostly though lack of application (I am lazy).

I’m always amazed to see great players and still love the buzz of playing live. I do have a slight problem with music colleges that peddle a dream that, for almost all won’t ever come true.

• Like 2

The guy in this video is so on the money with this it's not true. I think back to when I was having Double Bass lessons, my teacher was a super talented guy who is a better musician than most people could ever hope to be. As a professional musician in his 50s he had absolutely nothing to show for years of hard work and had played with a lot of well known jazz musicians. He was renting a small room in a shared house, living like a student. Music first and foremost should be a means of self expression and enjoyment. When you start trying to make a living from it you are faced with such an huge array of difficulties. For this reason I have the utmost respect for (non rich and famous) professional musicians. I'd rather be an amateur schmuck with a stable income and a workplace pension though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I think he’s absolutely right. Do it because you love it and take the opportunities when they come. It’ll be a great ride.

When I was 18 I wanted to be a full time professional, but I realised I’d likely end up spending my life playing Grease or whatever for a few quid it lost its appeal. I did lots of gigs with heritage acts (I guess you’d call them) stacked full of hired hands who gave me an honest insight into life on the road. 

I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have been good enough either. Mostly though lack of application (I am lazy).

I’m always amazed to see great players and still love the buzz of playing live. I do have a slight problem with music colleges that peddle a dream that, for almost all won’t ever come true.

In the States if you get a teaching degree you can make a very good living . You can retire with a nice pension and health insurance and then embark on a music career.

Daryl

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

In my experience you need equal parts skill and contacts. 

Luck is a massive part of it, too. Loads of musicians I know who have been in successful bands have just been in the right place at the right time. 

I must say I was envious in the past, but that’s immaturity speaking. Now I’m happy for anyone that’s doing what they love.